Unlimited access >

Second cat introduction advice!

My guys get super ramped up and hyper on cat nip - I would hold off on letting them imbibe together until you know their reaction. Don’t want one nipped up kitty try to start rambunctiously playing and accidently bite or scratch with a kitty that nip has no effect on. Nip only effects about 50% - 70% of kitties.https://www.petmd.com/news/view/why-do-some-cats-not-react-catnip-37525

Interesting. As I said, I know almost nothing about cats but remember a friends cat when it had catnip.
If catnip doesn’t affect all cats in a similar manner then I suppose it would be like putting two drunk and potentially hostile strangers together and just hoping they would get along. Not a good idea.

1 Like

I put a deposit down on this guy today, picking him up next Wednesday, tentatively. He is sniffly and sneezy so they’re bringing him to the vet on Monday to assess for a URI in which case I’ll pick him up when it clears. He was very confident and a love, so…fingers crossed!

8 Likes

That face! He’s saying “I know I’m handsome. The line forms to the right, ladies!”

Do you have a name picked out?

So they are both male? Has your new guy been neutered for long?
Did they say anything about his reaction to other cats?
He’s very handsome. I hope it works out for both of them. Please keep us posted. :blush:

@chestnutmarebeware I’m thinking of calling him Ghost, so I have Shadow and Ghost!

@skydy Both male. My resident cat has had multiple male playmates who’ve entered his territory that he’s been fine with, so I’m hoping a younger guy will be a good match. New guy was neutered as an 8 month old and is now 2. He was with a family who kicked him out of the house. :roll_eyes:

He was in their “main room” with lots of other cats and doing well. They took him out when he started sneezing so he’s in their isolation room until he sees the vet.

2 Likes

He’s been without his tackle for long enough then, yes? (I know very little about cats.)
Poor unwanted guy. I hope he’s OK and you can bring him home soon. He’ll have a good life with you. :blush:

1 Like

Ultimately I think it’s more down to their personalities but it definitely helps to have excess hormones out of the mix! New guy was neutered around the right time, but my resident cat was actually neutered very late since he was trapped at 2 years old. If I was going to be worried about anyone in terms of hormones it would be him, but he’s so chill with other cats I’m honestly looking forward to seeing how it goes after a SLOW introduction!

Thanks very much, I’m hoping all is well with him too so he can get some real love in a safe home!

1 Like

It looks like a Rorschach inkblot on his face. :rofl:

He looks so suave and debonair, or is that a “I’m too sexy for my shirt” look?

4 Likes

He was such a sweetie in the shelter but I feel like it was sort of being really happy for some individual attention. I did get the impression he’ll be a bit of a little shit once he’s comfortable in a new home, which means he & my current boy will be very well matched LOL.

When you look at him from the front, he’s got a marking that looks like a U from one front leg, over his chest, to the other leg. Just a very cool looking cat! Rorschach names should be contemplated too…

2 Likes

He doesn’t look like he’d be much of a pushover.

Rorschach is a neat name…Schach for short.

Did the shelter tell you why he was “kicked out” of his family’s house?

No, they don’t know! Of course it’s a bit of a gamble that he may have a bad habit, but in all honesty though, that doesn’t bother me too much.

I grew up with a cat who was kicked out of their house, didn’t have a lot of info. She ended up being mauled by something and brought to the vet by said owners because she “wasn’t dying”, and the vet did surgery and held on to her until we adopted her. We spent a few weeks waiting for her to do something bad that might’ve made them do something like that, but she was and is a great cat. We did eventually learn her previous owners had gotten pregnant and no longer wanted her. Some people just truly make me lose faith in humanity.

Because she “wasn’t dying”? Wow, that’s cold.

Hopefully yours isn’t an intractable furniture shredder or indiscriminate pee-er. He has a mischievous look about him. Some people have very strange reasons for giving up their pets though.

Was he stray or did they bring him in? Hopefully they gave him up properly and didn’t just kick him out and stop feeding him
He’s a handsome cat, which made me wonder about their reasoning.

@Peggy’s Tom was thought to be antisocial and he’s turned out to be super.

My sister adopted a dog that had been at the shelter for 6 years because he “wasn’t friendly”, yet as soon as they brought him home he fit right in. The only issues they have with him are his predilection for trying to sit in her lap at inconvenient moments, and a desire to lick peoples faces. It’s heartbreaking that he was unwanted and lived in the shelter (nice as it was) for so long.

Well done you :+1: for providing both a friend for your guy and a home for an unwanted kitty.

1 Like

Yes, apparently they were “hoping” she’d pass and she was fighting and they brought her to the vet to ask for her to be put to sleep. Our vet is a bit of a hothead and said she’d take her and fixed her up LOL.

It’s definitely possible he could have some bad habits but for the most part I find cats form those habits if they don’t have the right outlets. I’m definitely prepared to find he does some things I’d prefer he didn’t. But overall I’m not super concerned about this new guy being abandoned as a red flag. People just suck and almost all the cats I met were abandoned or “put outside”. I looked at another 9 year old who was put in the backyard when his previous owners moved and just left him behind.

Apparently new guy was left outside to fend for himself, no food. He was going to other houses in the neighborhood looking for handouts, and eventually one of the neighbors crated him and brought him to the local rescue. He is microchipped and the rescue got in touch with previous owners and they said they didn’t want him back.

They couldn’t be bothered to give him away or take him to a shelter, but he was micro-chipped. That’s bizarre.

Leaving your cat behind in the backyard and moving away? :grimacing: Putting your cat outside and not feeding them? I wonder how these people sleep at night.

It sadly happens all. the. time. The rescue I worked with would get emails WEEKLY about situations like:

pet owner dies of old age but none of their heirs/children wants the pet.
pet owner moving, not wanting to to take cat
cat meowed too much, owner does nto want
owner got cat with her boy freind. He broke up with her - know neither want the cat.
child is tired of cat and wants a puppy instead

the list goes on and on. Some people are downright punchable.

1 Like

he is a cutie!! Fingers crossed all goes well. I have not tried this line of products - but https://shop.jacksongalaxy.com/products/peacemaker?variant=31572449558563
might be helpful for the transition. I might give the arthritis one a try for my senior boy.

Thanks so much! I have the Feliway diffuser for my resident cat when he moved in with me and it seemed to help so I’m going to use it for this guy too BUT I love having alternative options just in case.

New kitty, officially named Ghost, came home as of two hours ago! He is positive for herpes but is showing no active infection so he’ll be in his own room for the next two weeks per my vet’s recommendation just to make sure he settles in without a flare.

He has already had something to drink, and used his litterbox like a pro.

The door is shut and I’ve also put a baby gate up just because my current cat is a bit nosy and I don’t want him shoving his paws under the door and freaking the new guy out a la Here’s Johnny!

My resident guy is meowing and chirping a lot from outside the door, and new guy hisses. It makes me a little nervous but I’d have to guess it’s pretty normal for two hours in!

4 Likes