Unlimited access >

Second hand helmet??

Hahaha @Renn/aissance I still dont trust a helmet that old, considering I’ve had my fair share of bonks and really dont need to be in a helmet that may be degraded. And how is the first lady? I’m tempted to try one out outside of this circumstance. They’re beautiful helmets. Also to everyone telling me to get fitted, I have the size of my head. I’m a 7 (57 cm I believe) or 7 1/8 for some brands. I have been professionally fitted, by pretty much the only tack shop in my city. I’m still very uncomfortable in my helmet. I may just buy whatevers comfortable, and snug. Has anyone tried a onek? I was looking into those (new, dont fret lmao) before I saw the first lady on consignment. Thanks everyone!

You can buy a nice helmet within your $400.00 that you have.

I have a OneK, but I only rode in it a handful of times since it doesn’t quite fit my head. Feels a bit shallow and round. The same with my MIPS helmet from Back on Track. I also have a lightly used Tipperary. I know there is no market (which I totoally understand!) for second-hand helmets. Therefore I have 3 barely used “ornaments” :lol:

No experience with the First Lady (not my style), but also consider MIPS Helmets such as the EQ3 or Lynx. Great technology…if they fit! Neither fit on my head, but yours may be more suitable. I think they’re well within budget IIRC, and like I said, great technology.

But yes, ultimately, you go with what fits and what is comfortable. Also good to know if you have an oval or round shape head.

You can buy a nice helmet within your $400.00 that you have.

I have a OneK, but I only rode in it a handful of times since it doesn’t quite fit my head. Feels a bit shallow and round. The same with my MIPS helmet from Back on Track. I also have a lightly used Tipperary. I know there is no market (which I totoally understand!) for second-hand helmets. Therefore I have 3 barely used “ornaments” :lol:

No experience with the First Lady (not my style), but also consider MIPS Helmets such as the EQ3 or Lynx. Great technology…if they fit! Neither fit on my head, but yours may be more suitable. I think they’re well within budget IIRC, and like I said, great technology.

But yes, ultimately, you go with what fits and what is comfortable. Also good to know if you have an oval or round shape head.

I show in a Tipperary because they’re cheap, comfortable, and just as safe as the expensive brands. I’ve got lots of better uses for $600 bucks than a helmet, when I can get one just as safe for $50.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:10532142}[/ATTACH]

FV_Mini9June8679D63.jpg

2 Likes

Like I said @endlessclimb my tipperary is the right size, the shape just doesnt fit my head, not very comfortable for me. :confused: besides, I like having nice things as I don’t currently have any bills. A prime opportunity for me to get nice things, before I start having to make regular payments for anything

I’d pass! Your head isn’t something to try to save money on, no matter how deep the discount. Even with the tags, the helmet could’ve been dinged here and there especially considering how long it’s been since the actual manufacture date.

You may find that an $80 Tipperary fits you better than the $1000 GPA.

1 Like

Just to be clear here. The price you pay for a helmet does not make it “safer”. Helmets are all tested to one standard and it’s pass/fail. What is the safest approved helmet you can buy? The one that fits you best.

If the helmet that fits you best is a $50 Troxel, that helmet is the safest helmet for you. If the helmet that fits you best is a $750 Charles Owens, then that helmet is the safest for you.

I personally would not buy one of these helmets. While the generally accepted shelf life of a helmet is 5 years, if it’s been stored in a warehouse with extreme temperature and humidity variations, that will cause the materials to degrade faster.

2 Likes