Unlimited access >

Second hand helmet??

So, I’ve recently got my first job, and I wanna upgrade from my $100 tipperary helmet as its not very comfortable, and I think it’s illegal to show in, and I’m about to start showing. We’ve got a tack consignment shop in my city, and they’ve got up a few of the GPA first lady helmets for $400 when theyd normally be $1000. The helmets still have their tags, and come in a box, and are said to be brand new. I’m wondering if this is safe to ride in?? I think I already know the answer, but they do still have tags so I’m wondering if that counts for something??

See if the helmets have a date of manufacture. The generally accepted guideline is to replace a helmet after five years even if it has just been sitting on a shelf. Do you want to replace a $400 helmet after two years if the date of manufacture indicates it’s been sitting on a shelf somewhere for three years? If the helmets still have tags and are in their boxes, I’d think it’s pretty unlikely that they have been used much less abused so I personally wouldn’t be too concerned on that account.

You might also ask the proprietor of the shop where the helmets came from - sometimes that type operation has connections that allow them to pick up overstock items from other stores or distributors.

Finally, your Tipperary would be legal to show in in any discipline requiring a helmet. If you want to upgrade to find something more comfortable or a style you like better or a style more commonly seen in your discipline, by all means do so - but an approved helmet is an approved helmet, and Tipperary helmets are approved.

6 Likes

Thank you groom & taxi. Where would I find a dat of manufacturing? Would it be on the helmet or on the box somewhere. And this store does sometimes sell items kind of like a normal store, I have a friend who supplies for them and her items certainly arent used lol. Thanks for the input

I’m hard line on this. You only have one head and riding is a risky sport. When you fall off it is highly likely your head will be involved. A helmet is a safety item not a fashion accessory. So stick with your safety approved Tip for the moment and ignore a second hand helmet of unknown origin, regardless of price. You only have one head.

8 Likes

Short Answer: No.

Longer Answer: You don’t know where that “used” helmet has been, lived, or done. Helmets have about a five year useful life and then should be replaced. This “pig in a poke” is going on your head. You won’t know whether it will “work” or not until the ground rises up to smite you (or Old Clomper kicks you in the head). If it works then you’re OK. But if it doesn’t then you may just have fallen into very deep kimchi.

Buy the good quality helmet. Cut back on Starbucks, wine, or other “small luxuries” and buy a good quality suitable to your uses.

G.

4 Likes

Take your hard earned $400 to the tack store and get properly fitted.

Buy the helmet that fits properly, not the one that has a name. Buy from people in the know who can show you the details of where the date is etc.

This is not the item to get from a consignment shop.

6 Likes

Adding another no to the pile. Go get fitted for a helmet. You should have no issue finding a helmet that fits for under $400.
Curious to find out why you think your Tipperary is illegal unless it’s neon pink or something? (you could always get a cover for it if that’s the issue)

2 Likes

There are incredibly safe helmets that are in the less than $100 range. Someone I know that had Brian issues got a $60 helmet that is safe and comfortable. Sometimes cheap does not mean poor quality.

Edit: she was indeed in a Tipperary so never mind my comment. Good grief I need to stop reading so quickly.

I wouldn’t get a second hand helmet. I’d go with the safest option I could afford - and since you don’t know the history of a second hand helmet (no matter what someone tells you) I’d pass immediately. May be within the manufacture date and look fine and they could tell you it has never been fallen in, but maybe it has been dropped or they lied and there have been a ton of minor falls and the inner structure you can’t visibly see is not 100% in tact. Why take a risk like that when there is no reason to? You do not need a $1000 helmet. You can get perfectly effective and safe helmets that are still attractive for much much less.

2 Likes

I think I already know the answer, but they do still have tags

a tag can be made or even copied…so check the tag closely to see what kind of paper its printed upon and check for wording/miss spellings

I would want to know just where the helmet came from regardless of cost saving as a medical helicopter ride costs about $25,000 around here

1 Like

It sounds like this is overstock or closeout merchandise as it’s in the original box with the tags on. The OP should confirm with the store owner but this doesn’t sound like a helmet someone has owned before, and overstock/closeout helmets are a valid use case!

OP, the date of manufacture for a GPA should be on the inside of the helmet, printed on a white or orange tag. You may also find it on the box.

In this scenario it’s likely that the merchandise has been sitting on a shelf for a year or two and that it’s some time into its 5-year lifespan. If the helmet fits you, it may be worth it to you to pay $400 for a helmet you get 2 or 3 years out of before replacing. Or you may prefer to pay full price for one you could get 5 years out of (though of course you’ll want to replace it if it takes any impact in a fall before then.)

But I would advise you to get professionally fitted before you buy anything, because the best helmet is the one certified to your country’s applicable standards that fits you the best.

3 Likes

I just want to address your first comment.

Your tipperary is probably not “illegal” to show in. Price of a helmet is not related to efficacy of a helmet. A well-fitted tipperary is going to be safer than a poor-fitted First Lady. I get that your tipperary may not be well-fitted to your head, in which case I would go look at other brands.

You do not need to spend $1000 (or even $400) to get a nice-enough-to-show-in and legal and safe helmet.

If money is an issue buy a $100-$250 brand new helmet that fits you well. Many brands have helmets that fit your requirements and are being shown in by names big and small every day; Ovation, Tipperary, OneK, TraumaVoid, Charles Owen, and the list goes on.

And just because I’m afraid I’m not being clear.

A $1000 price tag DOES NOT MAKE A HELMET SAFER!

Nor do you need an expensive helmet to show, nor to fit in. I show just as often in my Ovation dial-to-fit helmets (of which I have several) as I do in my GPAs and Samshields.

11 Likes

A helmet is not something I’d personally skimp on or try and find a wonky deal for. A $400 budget still allows for a REALLY nice (definitely new) helmet. I understand in certain worlds, there’s pressure for certain name brands, but save the deal hunting and questionable age to boots or a show jacket, not your noggin. Side note - Tipperary has a new helmet that has a wide brim and gpa-esque vibes for under $200.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for the replies, and for reaffirming that my tipperary is legal to show in. I think someone said that to me one time, or something like that and I took it as truth. Good reminder for me to fact check lol. I did contact the store, and asked where they came from, what the manufacturing date is etc., I understand the importance of helmets as I’ve had head injuries in this sport, and while wearing a tipperary I felt like I had less protection than when I’ve worn others. I do think I need to look into different brands that may have a better fit for me. I also refuse to use a dial helmet, as the first time I had a major fall, the plastic part cut my head open and there was blood everywhere, now theres a scar lol.

Normally, I would never like ever consider a helmet that was second hand or wasnt straight from a tack store. The only reason I considered this one is because I know this consignment store does sometimes take overstock, and this helmet is new with tags. I dont wanna risk my head either, which is why I asked for more opinions. I think I’ll ask my trainer and her word will be final, after I hear back from the store.

I am under no impression that i need a $1000 helmet for the level I’m at. This one is just cheap (comparatively) and seems to be new, so I was tempted. I just feel uncomfortable and a bit unsafe in my tipperary, and I’d like a nice helmet.

NO go get properly fit for a new helmet (therefore it will not only be secure but comfortable) that is within your budget and legal for your showing

1 Like

If this is an overstock (and new with tags) then check the date of manufacture. If you are under five years you’re OK. The more the “delta” the better deal you might be getting!!!

Good luck in your purchase.

G.

2 Likes

As far as expiration dates are concerned, looks like GPA measures 5 years from the date the helmet is first worn, not from the date of manufacture:

GPA: We do recommend to change the helmet every 5 years, IT IF DID NOT HAVE FALLS OR SHOCKS, and if it has been properly used and taken care of. The helmet materials do not get affected until it starts to be worn.” Source: https://www.riders4helmets.com/when-should-i-replace-my-helmet-expiration-dates/

I agree though that a helmet of unknown history is problematic. If I had a close friend who bought one that ended up not fitting her, but fit me, I’d buy it. From a stranger? No way.

2 Likes

While it isn’t as inexpensive as the Tipperaries, I paid around $240 for a brand new Smart Pak helmet version of the MIPS technology. Seems like a better investment than a questionable “used” helment at $400.

1 Like

An update for everyone, I found out why this helmet is so inexpensive. Date of manufacturing is 03/15. The store said that it was overstock but that they do not take helmets that are not new in terms of being worn or not.

1 Like

@Saskatoonian posted GPA’s replacement interval recommendation upthread- thanks for that! I had forgotten that they quote 5 years from date of first wear. The reason that this makes sense is that wear, light, and heat affect the helmet’s materials safety. Wear compresses padding and both light and heat can cause the materials to degrade. In that sense, if the helmet has just been sitting on a shelf in a climate-controlled area, and if you know the helmet fits you, you might consider it a good deal. (I wear a First Lady and I kinda want to know the name of the shop. :lol: )

However, I’m going to double down on suggesting that you get fitted by educated tack shop staff before you make any decisions. They should help you find a helmet in the right size that suits the shape of your head (which from the description the Tipperary may not.) It should feel tight at first as the padding will compress. (Charles Owen compresses a good deal and you may find it uncomfortably tight at first.) You should be able to touch your chin to chest, the back of your head to the back of your neck, and move your shoulder towards each ear without the helmet moving, without the harness buckled. The staff should also show you how to adjust the harness. All helmets approved to the ASTM-SEI standard are considered by the NGA to be created equal (though there’s an argument that helmets with the MIPS technology add safety features beyond that if they fit you) so you’ve got a lot of options in a lot of price points.

Then you can cut the harness off your Tipperary and use it as a flower planter, or something. :slight_smile:

1 Like