Unlimited access >

SECRET SANTA Article in COTH - jbcalder@chronofhorse.com

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer Calder and I am a writer with the magazine. We are interested in doing a feature on your SS exchange for our upcoming holiday issue. I was hoping some of you had a few heartwarming stories you could share - maybe there was a poignant gift that stands out? Surprising acts of generosity (maybe not even material, but support, etc)? Any friendships that came about via the board but exist in ‘real life’? Anything funny ever happen? Or anything else you can think of that you would like to share.

Please email me at: jbcalder@chronofhorse.com

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!
Jennifer

Bumping this up, lets keep it up there for all to read.:yes:

I don’t know if this counts, it’s just a simple story. But one year, my giftee told me she had been having a horrible month leading up to the Christmas holidays, and the SS package that arrived in the mail was just the thing she needed to cheer her up. To me, that is the spirit of the holidays - and I was so glad I could be a part of making her holiday a good one.

Secret Santa is a great spirit to be a part of! I have done it the last two years but just didn’t have the money this year with some large vet bills. It makes me sad to get on the forums and see the SS thread when I know how much they are all having fun! It always makes me feel like a kid again and this year, this kid feels left out!

Last year was my first year, and I am officially hooked! I joined on a whim, as I had never heard of the COTH SS until the thread was posted. I had a blast picking things out for my giftee. My favorite thing was a pendant with a picture of her late TB stallion, who was the sire of all of her current horses. I think it made her really happy. I was blown away by the thoughtfulness of my own SS, and still use the things I got today - including a beautiful matching royal blue halter and t/o blanket.

This year I’m having a blast and have already heard from my elf a few times. I’ve got 90% of my giftee’s gifts in hand or on the way, and the other 10% is just waiting to be baked. :wink: Of course, there is still plenty of time for spur-of-the-moment purchases as well! I can always just buy a bigger box!

All in all, COTH SS has been the highlight of my time on COTH, and I hope to continue to participate in whatever capacity for a long time.

There have been a couple years where people interested in certain horse rescues teamed up to order things off a wish list, or pay vet bills, or put together a joint order from a catalog and save on shipping. It was a nice way for people who wanted to put their money where their keyboards were, to actually do so.

We have a blast turning loose our inner Silly Selves with (it’s OK to be lame) poetry, teasing giftees, and hunting for things that will mean something to a person we don’t know well. Esp. if shopping for people we do know well sometimes feels like an obligation.

Email sent!

I too was unable to participate this year. WHen I found Secret Santa here it just made my Christmas! I looked forward to shopping for the most interesting things for a complete stranger! Wrapping and planning kept the Christmas spirit going for weeks! I looked forward to having something nice under my tree too! THis year my phone quit working, my computer quit working and various and other sundry things came up which didn’t let me check for the sign up info. I sent three different emails but somehow just didn’t make it. SS IS my Christmas. Just how it is.

So, I got involved in doing it on another board and I am making sure that there is a contingency available for folks who miss the deadline for ANY reason! It is Christmas! Sometimes a really tough time of year for some of us. So, hopefully missing it here on COTH will make it possible for someone else on another board to be included should life have gotten in the way and they miss the deadline there.

There is always a silver lining. Next year we are going to send emails to those who participate this year, to help folks make a decision to play or not and to let them know it will never be too late.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Secret Santa has often been the only Christmas presents I get each year. I’ve been a single mom for several years (though getting married in a little over a week!), and Christmas is always about the kids. Though an abusive marriage CoTH’s SS gave me something to enjoy about Christmas that was for ME. That someone cared enough to find lovely things that pertained to a part of my life I couldn’t share with those around me (Ex thought it was stupid, was very negative about the horses) and with my kids so little and doing everything to let them have a magical Christmas every year, it has always been wonderful to share the horse side of my life, and have a little something for me. I also adore getting to spend time finding the perfect horsey gifts for a member of the board. I’ve made lifelong friends through SS. Several of my matches are now friends in “real life”, including visits across the country. It is truly the highlight of my Christmas season :slight_smile:

THANK YOU!

Just wanted to thank those of you who have either PM’d me or emailed me with your stories! I will be in touch soon to ask a few follow-up questions for the article. Really appreciate it!
Jennifer

I think what makes it so special is that two total strangers go out of their ways to make Christmas special for someone they have never and probably will never meet. THAT is the spirit of giving.

Sending email.

Last year, I didn’t participate in SS and I haven’t yet but someone reached out to me at Christmas last year after I had a personal pitty party for myself and sent me some very amazing gifts for my son. I’ll never forget that, I don’t think that person realizes how amazing she made my holiday’s.

Great article!

I just got my COTH in the mail and what a great article this turned out to be!!! Great pictures of Chocomare and Freebird, too! Fantastic job, Jennifer!

I’ve let my paper subscription lapse, so I guess there is no way for me to see it :frowning:

[QUOTE=TarheelJD;7335566]
I’ve let my paper subscription lapse, so I guess there is no way for me to see it :([/QUOTE]
Well, you’re in it! I’ll send you the issue when I’m finished reading it. PM me your address!

[QUOTE=J-Lu;7335595]
Well, you’re in it! I’ll send you the issue when I’m finished reading it. PM me your address![/QUOTE]

Thanks! PM sent!

Will it be online?

Hi guys!

I’ve just posted Jennifer’s BB Secret Santas article on our main website, www.chronofhorse.com

Direct link is http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/gift-keeps-giving

The article came out great—enjoy! And maybe consider giving back to the Chronicle, too. Subscribe!!! http://www.chronofhorse.com/subscribe

Hi everyone, I wanted to thank of all of you who answered my call for stories. I am sorry I couldn’t use each one! Writing this piece was uplifting and I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season. Warm regards, Jennifer