Unlimited access >

Secretariat Sons in Sporthorse breeding (Eventing) - Opinions from North America?

Viney I have no idea who the OP is, if he owns the horse, great, then he can tell me a bit more about them. I went by his link to the database and the Trakehner foals by this stallion from this year are out of mares that I know, hence my question what they looked like. And yes, quite the mare her from a Trakehner perspective. I was simply interested in what this stallion and this mare herad had done, and the OP seemed like the person to ask :wink:

Hi Maren, sorry we are very busy these times with all aspects of farming, cattle breeding and horse breeding and I rarely find time to come here. But to make a long story short, viney hit the nail right on the head. Careless Secretary is one of the two studs we use (the other is Sturmklang TRK) and for some reason we get more and more inquiries from Germany, Switzerland and as far away as South Africa and Australia/New Zealand; regions we could only serve with frozen semen.
And it is quite possible that this demand will somewhat increase due to an article on him that will be published soon. But it is a long trip back to Germany to get him collected and I will not put him through all this if there is not reason enough to do it.
His fertility with natural cover is not a problem. He even got the Hand in Glove XX mare Ucella pregnant; the first foal in years! Ucella is the second dam of the very hopeful Uniā€™s Black Pearl. But we do not know if his semen can be processed and frozen.
If you are interested in pictures of the foals, there are some on my fb site www.facebook.com/joerg.muehlethaler
Careless Secretary bred six mares last year and we have a very impressing six foals on the ground now. Reason enough to look in to ways to share his genetics beyond our small operation. For more information you are very welcomed to message me on fb or to send me an email.
Best regards, George

IMO, somethingroyal is the key, not secretariat. Weā€™ve competed lots of sir Gaylord horses - including an Irish one or two - but they tend to be hot!

Well, Iā€™d like to offer a bit of a differing opinion. If I were hunting for a great TB mare to add to a sport program (or a possible stallion prospect) I personally wouldnā€™t go for a Secretariat lineage.

Instead, Iā€™d rather go for a Son-In-Law pedigree, especially via his valuable daughter, Maureen. Or one with the great mare, Double Life, especially if it included one of her stallion sons - Precipitation (who sired Furioso), and/or Persian Gulf who sired many steeplechasers in Great Britain.

Maureen is the dam of Furioso. His sire is Precipitation. What makes Furioso so special is the combination between these 2 ultra special mares - Maureen and Double Life.

Son-In-Law is the damsire to Furioso. He is Cottage Sonā€™s grandsire. He is also the great-great grandsire to Ladykiller and twice the great-great-great grandsire to Cor de la Bryere (top and bottom). There is no denying what the Son-In-Law lineage has produced and how they have impacted the sport breeding in warmbloods - not only Hanoverian, but also Holstein and Belgium, and because of this the Son-In-Law lineage is one of the most valuable.

With Cor de la Bryere, he gets a dose of Son-In-Law via his son Foxlaw on the top side. On cordieā€™s damā€™s side, he gets it via Furioso himself.

Secretariat has a dose of Phalaris who is found in some sport pedigrees, but not nearly as many top level sport pedigrees which almost always contain Son-In-Law somewhere in the background.

Just my opinion.

This is a really interesting article.

http://www.tbheritage.com/HistoricSires/JumpSires/JumpShowroots.html

Iā€™m going to blether a while about Somethingroyalā€™s pedigree.

I firmly believe that the Alexander Mare of 1790 is one of the greatest mare lines in history for jumping. If you look at Somethingroyalā€™s first page from the bottom up:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/somethingroyal
you find the Alexander Mare tail female and bred to Roi Herode in the fifith. Next up comes Teddy, whose dam is by Bay Ronald and has the Alexander Mare of 1790 tail female. The next mare up, June Rose, also tails to the Alexander Mare, and she was bred to to a son of Dark Ronald. The next mare up, Isette, also tails to the Alexander Mare of 1790. So three of the four mares on the damside in the fourth all tail to one mare, as does Teddy. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen that before.

On top, in Princequillo, you find in his sire the very underappreciated sire, Gay Crusader by Bayardo; he is damsire for Prince Rose, the sire of Princequillo, Prince Bio, and Prince Chevalier, as well as being Ribotā€™s damsireā€™s damsire. This is, of course, another line to Bay Ronald, which helps tie Somethingroyalā€™s top and bottom together.

But the concentration of the Alexander Mare of 1790 in Somethingroyalā€™s dam line is definitely worth commenting on as far as TBs in sport go. The Alexander Mareā€™s son Castrel is tail male to the Le Sancy line (Roi Herode); her son Selim is tail male to the Dollar line. Thatā€™s two of Dr. Birdsallā€™s eight TB lines that have proved themselves in sport. Her daughters Bronze and the Orville Mare have been equally influential. Teddy is another of Dr. Birdsallā€™s lines, so that makes three with the Alexander Mare of 1790 as a major part of the pedigree.

Bay Ronald is also Son-In-Lawā€™s grandsire. They intertwine so much (and well) from back then. :slight_smile:

The Alexander Mare also had a son called Selim who is the grandsire to Glencoe. (Many of you know of Glencoeā€™s famous daughter, Pocahontas).

Very cool to learn about the mare lineage from much deeper.

Vineyā€¦ Is all of this info in your head or do you look it up? Lol The amount of knowledge you have on tb lines completely amazes me!!

Much of it is in my head, but I do look things up to make sure that I get things right. If I donā€™t, I make terrible mistakes.

Just another interesting note about Somethingroyal for sport. She produced a full sister to Sir Gaylord named Swansea. Swansea was bred to Chieftain, a Bold Ruler son, and produced a filly named Chieftain Girl who was sent to the UK or Ireland. When bred to the wonderful Chaser sire, Busted, Chieftain Girl produced Shaab, one of the very best Irish eventing sires of recent times.

Granted you have the good jumping lines on top from Turn-To, Chieftain, and Busted, but itā€™s interesting.

I have a fantastic mare whose dam (Lucinda) was Old out of a TB mare, Secrepurpose. Secrepurpose was by Bold Secretariat, does anyone else have that name popping up? The mare is a brilliant hunter, with an epic heart. And, sheā€™s a redhead :wink: I always smile when I see Secretariat on her papersā€¦ I know itā€™s pretty common, but I love it.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7670586]
Iā€™m going to blether a while about Somethingroyalā€™s pedigree.

I firmly believe that the Alexander Mare of 1790 is one of the greatest mare lines in history for jumping. [/QUOTE]

very cool analysis!

Re: Secretariat Sons in Sporthorse breeding (Eventing) - Opinions from North America?

Hi Everyone!

So I am new to The Chronicle of the Horse. I just started researching breeding with sons of Secretariat, because the Equine Veterinary Clinic that I work for has Grey Legion frozen semen stored!

ā€œAnneā€ had posted on this forum in Julyā€¦ā€œCirca 1988, Grey Legion stood in California with a veterinarian whose first name was Vanā€¦ he was of the early adopters of frozen semen and the Grey Legion horse ā€œstoodā€ for many years after his death.ā€ā€¦ and guess what, that is us!

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who would like to breed to him, or of any association I should get involved with.

I am excited to hear what anyone has to say! Thank you.

[QUOTE=SantaLuciaFarm;7970232]
Hi Everyone!

So I am new to The Chronicle of the Horse. I just started researching breeding with sons of Secretariat, because the Equine Veterinary Clinic that I work for has Grey Legion frozen semen stored!

ā€œAnneā€ had posted on this forum in Julyā€¦ā€œCirca 1988, Grey Legion stood in California with a veterinarian whose first name was Vanā€¦ he was of the early adopters of frozen semen and the Grey Legion horse ā€œstoodā€ for many years after his death.ā€ā€¦ and guess what, that is us!

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who would like to breed to him, or of any association I should get involved with.

I am excited to hear what anyone has to say! Thank you.[/QUOTE]

There is a Facebook group called Event Horse Breeding in North America. There are a few on there (myself included) who have mares that would be good matches for him and might be interested.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/dance+with+ravens this guy is a plain brown wrapper sort but has been producing quite a few eventers from his OTTB offspring locally. Because of that he ended up on my short list shopping for my TB mare last year.

I just read on a German forum that someone recommends this horse for sport horse breeding but this person is mostly focused on dressage so I am not sure if he also means jumping in this case: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10005319&blood=10&quota=
However he is not a son of Secretariat, he does have Secretariat as a grandsire.

[QUOTE=Elles;7972801]
I just read on a German forum that someone recommends this horse for sport horse breeding but this person is mostly focused on dressage so I am not sure if he also means jumping in this case: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10005319&blood=10"a=
However he is not a son of Secretariat, he does have Secretariat as a grandsire.[/QUOTE]
Gone West has been dead for years, so are they recommending breeding to his descendants?

[QUOTE=Elles;7972801]
I just read on a German forum that someone recommends this horse for sport horse breeding but this person is mostly focused on dressage so I am not sure if he also means jumping in this case: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10005319&blood=10"a=
However he is not a son of Secretariat, he does have Secretariat as a grandsire.[/QUOTE]

The one son I can think of at stud Elusive Quality stands for a 40k stud feeā€¦

[QUOTE=camohn;7976379]
The one son I can think of at stud Elusive Quality stands for a 40k stud feeā€¦[/QUOTE]

The Blood Horse stallion directory list more than 20 Gone West sons listed in North America, ranging in stud fees from $500 to $80,000 (Speightstown). Lotsa nice looking ones.

Iā€™ve heard/read that Gone West bloodlines are popular for sport horses.

I have a Gone West grandson gelding whoā€™s a pasture puff, but very athletic and tough as nails.

This is the topic: http://www.horse-gate-forum.com/showthread.php?73015-GONE-WEST-ein-Hengst-der-fuer-die-WBZ-zu-beachten-ist!&

That first picture of Speightstown is of course absolutely horrible. In the second picture he looks a lot better.
WBZ stands for Warmblutzucht, warmblood breeding.