security camera for shows

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced security camera that I could place in my horse’s stall to monitor surrounding activity? I’ve seen some economical cameras that only film when there’s motion. Does anybody have experience with this? Just looking for some peace of mind & added security away from home. TIA.

Do you want to be able to access the camera footage from your phone while you aren’t at the barn or just have it record for video proof if something goes wrong?

if you want live feed, you’ll need wifi.

If someone wanted to really do this, they could get a hotspot through their cell phone company and pay for the data. Although, that could get pretty expensive if a multi-day show if the camera was on at all times.

yes, you’re right. Shows are exhausting and expensive enough. If you’re that worried about the facility and your competitors, do you really want to be there?

1 Like

Some public libraries lend wifi hotspots. I always borrow one for when I show so i don’t suck up my data. Just a short PSA.

2 Likes

@TMares @mydogs @Incitatus thanks for your input. Wouldn’t need a live feed or anything. To me it’s similar to having a good trailer lock in place, or wanting to secure your tack stall. Having a cheap camera visible keeps people on their toes. And if anything happens I have a recording to look at.

If you don’t need it to send out a signal, you could look into trail cameras that have video options. Some trail cams start at $80.

1 Like

Thanks @SerenaGinger that’s what I’m thinking, too. Will check it out!