Unlimited access >

Sedivet in reining horses

I have a few friends who compete in reining but I’m essentially clueless about this discipline. Having read the articles about Sedivet being approved for use in warm up and competition, I’m even more confused. How would sedating a reining horse be helpful, appropriate or even safe for competition?

I don’t approve of it but can understand why drugging May be popular in English hunters and in Western Pleasure, where the fashion is for horses to look like drugged, sleepy, zombies. But doesn’t the athleticism, responsiveness and speed required for reining mean sedation would be detrimental to performance?

Can someone please clue me in if this is common and why. And why is it ok?

1 Like

There is a thread about this in off course with almost the same title.

Thanks! I’ll check it out

These 2 article are written from the European point of view. The subject does not seem to have got much ink in the USA.

2 Likes

Interesting that the NRHA approved this. Haven’t they learned anything ? All that money that had backed reining in their quest to be in the WEG and then Olympics some day was wasted because they continually couldn’t abide by the FEI"s anti-doping regulations. Finally the FEI kicked them out in 2018.

Now the NRHA has a letter from the AAEP. What will it take until they get the message ?
https://aaep.org/news/aaep-encourages-national-reining-horse-association-reconsider-sedative-rule