Unlimited access >

Seeking tips for removing hair from saddle pads before washing

Depending on what type of pad you are using (I use just plain cotton square pads or the square pads with the coolmax type underside) I just use my metal shedding blade. I use this more during shedding season when I can potentially get gobs of hair off. I find that it works better than a stiff brush.

1 Like

Lay them out and sweep them with a broom.
Shop Vac 'em
Vac 'em with the upholstery attachment [a rotating brush that is less aggressive than the floor attachment]

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m definitely going to look into a few of them/try a few of them. The CarPet thing looks like it would be really good for our chairs and couch as well.

1 Like

I use my shed flower on them and then vacuum them (using the hose and crevice tool).

I’ll use the Furminator or brush underside of pad then throw into the dryer for a cycle…then into the washing machine.

1 Like

What does throwing it into the dryer do?

I saw a video on FB of someone using a Norwex rubber brush, and it seemed to work well!

Throwing in the dryer will also collect lots of short hair the brush misses.

1 Like

I find the furminator does more damage than vacuuming the saddle pad. This year, I decided to just keep using the same pad until the horse finally sheds out. It’s a mess but at least it’s all on onePad

Me too

I only use the Back on Track pads that are ridiculous for their ability to retain hair. I use the rubber toothed curry comb which seems to work well.

The dryer sounds interesting - But i worry about the ceramic fibers in the pad. I always line dry these pads.

I just Dyson saddlecloths before they go in the wash. Works a treat. Rubber Curry does too but takes longer, plus more effort!

When you take the pad off the horse, hose it down and attack it with a hard brush

then when it is bone dry, I use the side of a rasp and go to town

I have a pair of HandsOn grooming gloves and they work great for cleaning saddle pads and the insides of boots! I found the metal blades or curry combs sometimes caught and tore the stitching, rubber curry combs were better, but I am in love with my grooming gloves!

Like many things, I find if I am diligent and clean the pad with the gloves each time I ride the hair is easier to remove and they wash up better than if I let them go a few rides before currying.

I step on one end of the saddle pad and run the vacuum over it before throwing it in the wash. Takes me about 60 seconds per pad and lifts up all the hair (and probably 80% of the grime, too).

A friend of mine cut up heavy duty stall mats into little blocks. I was skeptical until I used it. I de-haired five saddle pads in about five minutes, if that. It works AMAZINGLY.

Good idea! I have one of those somewhere.

I use a dandy brush at the barn, then when I get home I use one of those rubber pet-grooming mitts to get the last wisps off. Works like a charm!
https://www.chewy.com/petbuddies-furstatic-pet-grooming/dp/138788

You can use the “air dry” or “cool” cycle, without any heat and the BOT will be fine. The lint trap will show you how much hair was still on the pad.

I like the idea of the “hair magnet” in the wash. I usually throw in a towel, which serves that purpose and also balances the load.

I will sometimes do a cycle with only water and a bit of vinegar to clean out/flush the washer, after doing horse laundry.

I use a dog/cat “slicker” brush similar to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Brush-De-Mat-Slicker-Brush-for-Large-Dogs-Dogs/20638633?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015133750&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40341745952&wl4=pla-78300898112&wl5=9030083&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=20638633&wl13=&veh=sem