Seizures and Riding...

Hi all, want to pick your brains about seizures. I had one today for the first time in my life, totally out of the blue. SO now I’m freaked out to drive, be alone, god forbid riding!
If you have seizures and ride, what tips or knowlege can you offer ?

So much depends on the reason for the seizures, and how they are treated.

I am so sorry for this - but there will be plenty here who can offer up great advice!

Your health care provider is going to be the one to tell you what you can and can’t do (like drive…) but from the point of view of the person on the ground, while someone with a history of seizures is riding: do make sure you have someone in the arena with you when you ride, ideally someone who’s not also riding. Do make sure you wear a helmet. Do make sure the person in the arena with you knows what kind of medical treatment you need when you have a seizure (911? ride to the clinic? something else?). Do make sure you wear a medic-alert bracelet or something similar. Do make sure your horse is the type who can handle some disruption… (dig up some teenagers to be crashtest dummies if necessary!). Do make sure you feel up to riding, if you’ve recently had a seizure.

I know you wanted to hear from people who have a history of seizures and ride, but maybe the view from the ground will be helpful too.

we need to learn what to do

{{{{Lots of Hugs!!!}}}}}

Please tell us what to do to help you when you ride. Do you have any warning signs? Some of my DH’s work associates have had warning signs and could tell people what to do/expect.

Does being on a horse help with the nerve pathway transmission? Some things get better from the horse’s movement.

I hope that you hear from more of us. Invite might know more, too.

I think there are a variety of seizures, and a number of things that can set them off. When do you learn more from your doctors? For example, it can be something that is a one time occurance because of something in the environment…

Ps I am in a snow blizzard in Va right now and likely to lose power again. If you don’t hear from the mid-atlantic people, there is a very good reason. :eek: