Selevit Injectable

In humans the effect is seconds. We give it fast push iv for select fast heart rhythms to momentarily reset the heart. By stopping conduction. No words for the sport we have become.

8 Likes

We are no longer a sport. It is a business about money.

12 Likes

The recommendation for horses is IM, with cautions against IV use.
But it would surprise me not at all to hear of somebody trying it IV and having a horse drop dead off the needle.

3 Likes

yup have heard that multiple times in several locations

1 Like

In humans at least, the half-life of adenosine in the bloodstream is seconds. I canā€™t imagine it would be a particularly effective calming agent anyway.

I tried googling what adenosine is used for in horses and I got a bunch of hits indicating that itā€™s used IM to ā€œimprove energy levelsā€ (probably because adenosine is a building block of ATP, an energy source for cellular metabolic processes ā€¦ but the body does a pretty good job of making its own ATP using just food and oxygen, so this seems like a sketchy claim) and dilate coronary arteries (a known effect of it which is why itā€™s used to do cardiac stress tests in people ā€¦ but Iā€™m not sure what the utility of that would be in horses, who presumably donā€™t have atherosclerotic coronary disease).

Regardless, it sounds sketchy and like something that is unlikely to be supported by any evidence. Any vets can feel free to correct me if Iā€™m mistaken!

3 Likes

Well USEF just changed rules, and pretty much admitted the vet was at fault (as much as legally they could). At least something good came from this travesty.

18 Likes

Why does it take a dead horse for USEF to decide to update policies and educate vets??

15 Likes

Associations and governing bodies are reactive. And it takes something dramatic happening to get a reaction at all.

Not condoning it, just saying this isnā€™t unique to horse sports, unfortunately.

4 Likes

if i read it correctly, the owner said it was a vet acting alone and only they are responsible. do you think the agreement she reached with USEF made that a stipulation? I find it unlikely some vet just went rogue and didnā€™t consult another soul.

5 Likes

The USEF forgot 4. An unlimited supply of funds, therapy, perhaps a vacation home by the sea for any groom who has literally foaled out his entry, spent his life with it, tried to block the catastrophe he saw unfolding, and had to fly home alone across the world without his horse. Itā€™s unbearable.

32 Likes

Hereā€™s the COTH article regarding USEFā€™s announcement and Branscombā€™s response. I wonder if they asked her to sign an agreement not to pursue legal action if they admitted fault?

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/usef-announces-welfare-initiatives-in-response-to-chromatic-bfs-death/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEokltleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHbFu1bVD4dhx8WjZ-jbtGZu4m4EqNhp0WkHlmVcuHdEUwCckoDZpMNoVpg_aem_jnuMP3qy4tG0TMD4a85C8w

4 Likes

Honestly thatā€™s what the whole thing feels like. No amount of money is gonna fix what happened but hopefully we can stop it from happening again.

10 Likes

Of course they did. Not like this ā€œnewā€ initiative is going to cost them near what legal action would have run. Iā€™m sure they made a settlement that their insurance paid out as well.

6 Likes

Itā€™s in the thread about re-rides.

1 Like

Well what a spaz thing to happen, I hit reply and it jumped threads. Very strange! Well Iā€™m going to delete it from here.

2 Likes

Could the insurance company sue USEF? Or would they have agreed to not pursue as well?

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was thinking

1 Like

this.
I have cared for horses since I was 14 years old in some capacity or another and they all become mine in that I truly care for and about them. To be helpless to stop what was happening and then killed that horse would be unbearable.

15 Likes

Think it was already mentioned upthread but many horses in the lofty (6 or 7 figure) price ranges are not commercially insuredā€¦the annual premiums would be suffocating. Far more than any vet bill.

1 Like

^^^^ This over and over and overā€¦. I donā€™t know how I would forgive myself, even if I had no fault in it.:broken_heart:

5 Likes