Unlimited access >

Self-tapping Studs?

My horse is getting tapped for studs for the first time so I need to get my first stud kit. I’ll start by saying I know nothing about studs! I am trying to do some self education instead of relying on my trainer for every detail. I have done some searching on the forums and came across some references to self-tapping studs and how they are the best thing since sliced bread. I’m curious about the general experience with this type of studs from folks who have used them. Please share away!

Oh… and I did attempt to follow the links in the FAQ section of this forum but none of them seem to go anywhere. They all simply go to the COTH home page. I tried copying into several different browsers and i’m simply at a loss!

Self tapping does note equate to self starting threads.
Tapping is the act of creating threads in a drilled hole.
What you linked to was a stud with a groove that allows any gunk in the threads to find it’s way out, as you screw the stud into the shoe.Just makes it a little easier to start the thread.

Taps.

These were used to clean threads also, which led to the misuse of the expression “self tapping threads”

I’m glad you brought this up, I have a question on studs too. When the farrier drills for studs, does he also create the threads to screw the in? I have a t-tap but not sure if I’m supposed to create the threads or does the farrier.

Farrier should do it, before fitting the shoe.

2 Likes

Farrier creates the threads. The t-tap just helps clean the threads out before you put the stud in.

2 Likes

Your farrier drills the shoe but this is where the fun ends. Finding ways to keep the threads clean are another story. I like these studs because the make a “travel stud” that is a blank you can put in until you need to use real studs. https://www.fourstarbrand.com/product/horseshoe-studs/

It would be wonderful to have self tapping studs, but sadly that is not the case.

You will definitely need a tap, I prefer this kind, in case the horse for whatever reason pulls from you, they can stand on the tap.

You’ll need a small adjustable wrench. (the longer the handle the easier it is to unscrew a tough stud)
I like to keep a nail or use the stud hole brush/cleaner to clean out any debris before tapping.
Stud Hole Cleaner Brush

I personally have not had great success with stud hole protectors for when my horse does not have studs in. The problem with debris in the holes is they tend to effect the threaded hole some times. Some will use cotton instead of the rubber stud hole protectors, I think that’s all personal opinion and experience.
Stud Hole Protector

I went and bought a small parts organizer from the dollar store to separate my studs. You can never have too many!
Parts Organizer

Keeping a stud cleaner or WD40 for after use will help prevent rust.

ETA: Another must! A magnetic parts holder (this has saved me from losing many studs in the grass)
Magnetic Parts Holder Dish

5 Likes

Thanks! I have all the stuff on your list, just haven’t used it yet.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much more informed now! :slightly_smiling_face:

Nothing brings eventers together like studs. :smiley: Only one thing I’d add: cleaning out the stud holes the day before the event will make the whole process so much easier. Soooo much swearing before I figured this out as I’m panicking to get holes cleaned.

4 Likes