Unlimited access >

Self training and critique

So with the cost of boarding going super up in the central coast, I’m very limited in the place I’m able to afford and the lessons I’m able to have. At the moment, I’ve just got 1 arena that is a barrel racing sized arena with barely any equipment. I also have yet to have a lesson because I am without a truck and trailer and its 100+ for the people I’ve checked with to come out to my barn. So I’m stuck training myself for the moment. I have an older horse who has done a lot but I’ve been out of riding for 6 years so I’m sure there are things about my riding that need improvement.

What have you guys done to teach yourself and make sure you are doing things correctly? Its so hard to critique yourself because you are never 100% sure you are doing it right even if it feels right.

Read books and watch others ride. Have someone take pictures and video of you riding so you can critique yourself (or post your video here for COTH to critique).

Maybe also audit free clinics or go watch the weekend lessons at those barns. If you have time, maybe try and exchange work for a lesson with one of those trainers.

Work on things that will help you get back into riding - things like two point, and different posting patterns at the trot (for example instead of up/down, try up/up/down and other variations), try posting the canter, no stirrups work, etc.

[QUOTE=Equitational;8383847]
Read books and watch others ride. Have someone take pictures and video of you riding so you can critique yourself (or post your video here for COTH to critique).
.[/QUOTE]

^^^This. I regularly video myself riding…at least once a week, maybe more often depending what I am doing or working on. I even have a little stand to put my phone on to video myself so I don’t even need someone there to do it for me. Once I began videoing my rides, I felt a definite increase in the speed of improvement. It really helps to have that visual so that you know what you look like, and what your horse looks like. When I go back to watch my videos, I usually watch them multiple times and look for different things each time. First I may just watch it straight through, then watch again focusing on my horse, and then again focusing on myself, using slow motion in parts to really take in details.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Set up your phone and video. Or even digital camera. That’s what I’ve always done. I audit a lot. I happen to live within an hour of some AA shows, so I attend all of those and watch (even when I was eventing. I’d hangout in the jumper ring. And the warm up ring). With things being streamed for free online now, you can watch rounds of all the top riders. During the maclay finals, I went to Starbucks and drank coffee with my pen, paper, and phone, watching the rounds and taking notes.

If you can’t take your horse to a lesson, but can afford to lesson on a lesson horse, do that every so often. It’ll help your riding and you can take what you learned home.

[QUOTE=ChasPonyCat;8383952]
^^^This. I regularly video myself riding…at least once a week, maybe more often depending what I am doing or working on. I even have a little stand to put my phone on to video myself so I don’t even need someone there to do it for me. Once I began videoing my rides, I felt a definite increase in the speed of improvement. It really helps to have that visual so that you know what you look like, and what your horse looks like. When I go back to watch my videos, I usually watch them multiple times and look for different things each time. First I may just watch it straight through, then watch again focusing on my horse, and then again focusing on myself, using slow motion in parts to really take in details.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy a stand? Would be interested in what kind of set up people use to video themselves on their own. I am an evening rider due to my work schedule so am typically the only one at the barn.

[QUOTE=woodhillsmanhattan;8384003]
Did you buy a stand? Would be interested in what kind of set up people use to video themselves on their own. I am an evening rider due to my work schedule so am typically the only one at the barn.[/QUOTE]

I use a standard and a jump cup if I use my phone. Just put the jump cup at a desired height at the edge of the ring and set your phone in it.

[QUOTE=Ready To Riot;8384010]
I use a standard and a jump cup if I use my phone. Just put the jump cup at a desired height at the edge of the ring and set your phone in it.[/QUOTE]

Genius!

[QUOTE=woodhillsmanhattan;8384003]
Did you buy a stand? Would be interested in what kind of set up people use to video themselves on their own. I am an evening rider due to my work schedule so am typically the only one at the barn.[/QUOTE]

I have a phone stand. It’s nothing fancy. Basically a hunk of plastic, but it gets the job done. I place my phone in the stand and then position the stand on a post in the arena wall in a spot where it captures the most area, or I can move it to focus on a certain spot (say if, for instance, I set up a grid and want really good footage of that).

You do have some nice trainers in that area - and I bet some of them have lesson or sale horses that could be borrowed.

There are also options for having your lesson videoed and getting a critique and commentary back.

If you’re not too far off the beaten path, you might be able to get someone to come out and teach you once in a while where you are.

[QUOTE=poltroon;8384073]
You do have some nice trainers in that area - and I bet some of them have lesson or sale horses that could be borrowed.

There are also options for having your lesson videoed and getting a critique and commentary back.

If you’re not too far off the beaten path, you might be able to get someone to come out and teach you once in a while where you are.[/QUOTE]

I’ve actually looked into riding lessons before I got my horse and there were a limited amount that have lesson horses available surprisingly. I am looking into seeing what the fees are for someone to come give me a lesson occasionally at my barn so that is definitely a possibility depending on price.

I have an extensive list of books that I want to read on amazon. My wish list is ridiculous. Lol. I’ve got to go through them one by one though. Wish I had more time to read all the horse riding books.

I didn’t think about trying to set up a stand to video myself. I just assumed I’d need someone’s help in order to get a good picture of the ride. I’ll have to look into something like a stand.

The best to have is a mirror. You can make changes immediately and see the result for yourself.

The next best is to video yourself.

The next best is to teach hubby/friend/family to yell at you for doing the wrong thing!!!

Do you have a friend/barn mate you trust to give good/fair feedback? I have asked friends/barnmates to watch me do X,Y,Z (and possibly video too) and give me their feedback real time- like “pick up your inside hand a few inches” or “your heel is coming up when you ask for X, maybe that’s why horse is doing Y”.

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8384518]
Do you have a friend/barn mate you trust to give good/fair feedback? I have asked friends/barnmates to watch me do X,Y,Z (and possibly video too) and give me their feedback real time- like “pick up your inside hand a few inches” or “your heel is coming up when you ask for X, maybe that’s why horse is doing Y”.[/QUOTE]

Riding with a buddy is wonderful for this stuff. I ride with a friend and we’re about the same level riding-wise. We make suggestions and talk about various things we can do. We’re not teaching each other, just having a productive dialogue.

I also have started watching a lot of videos on YouTube of winning riders at various events. I was watching any video I could find but I was noticing a lot of quirks or faults that I don’t want to incorporate myself. So I try watching winning rides because I know that at least a few judges thought it was a good way of riding. No use teaching yourself bad habits. But it gives me a visual while I’m riding to try and match myself to.

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8384518]
Do you have a friend/barn mate you trust to give good/fair feedback? [/QUOTE]

There is one girl I’ve become friends with at my barn but its a really small barn and hardly anyone rides. I’ve been there every day of the week and maybe 1 every two weeks there is more than me and my friend in the arena. She is willing to help me but she only rides around 2 days a week. I’d definitely like to have some guidance more than that.

And more often than not we get distracted by chatting. :slight_smile: