Unlimited access >

Selle Francais Registry Questions

[QUOTE=sfstable;6371688]
And those ones aren’t even correct anymore :smiley:

I believe basically 3 divisions:

Stud Book Selle Francais Section A (both parents SF)

Stud Book Selle Francais Section B (one parent SF and the other parent approved other WB stud book, approved TB, approved arab) … but I think the other WB parent has to have at least 50% SF blood (I may be wrong on this point though)

Cheval de Selle (one parent SF and the other a non-approved parent)

I think there is still a French Arab division, pony division, and maybe a couple of others but the 3 above are the main ones.

So the OP mare and Edelweiss would produce an offspring in the Stud Book Selle Francais Section B, as long as, the mare is inspected and approved for breeding.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the clarification!.

We have a mare in for breeding right now to my Guaranteed Gold stallion who is approved SF, She is by Perrel out of an APHA mare (and not 100% certain if she is 100% APHA through the dam line or 1/2 TB)

Also not sure what designation within the Selle registry she is either but she is definately approved and has a SF number

The foal will 100% be able to get CSHA registered (as both sire and dam are CSHA approved) but I also believe it can also be registered SF if the owner wishes (through the reciprocal arrangement as CSHA is one of the approved registries of the WBFSH organization)

I know when I bought the Kyrie D’ Triomphe mare (by Heisman (SF) out of Cant Act (TB - approved SF) there appeared to be no way to get her registered SF (when I bought her she was paperless - had no registration with any registry). My options for her were Westphalian and CSHA and I guess possibly RPSI and CWHBA as well.

I just find it all so darned confusing at times - I called and emailed so many people from SF and got nowhere, the Westphalian options are limited up here as far as inspections go and I ended up just going to a CSHA inspection with her instead to get some sort of papers on her

[QUOTE=vineyridge;6371834]
andy.smaga would know, but it’s my understanding that there are no longer SFAs, and SFBs. There are only SFs. It’s been a fairly recent change–maybe within the past three or four years.[/QUOTE]
You are right, the SFA and SFB do not exist anymore, they are simply SF

The official text: Les chevaux inscrits au stud-book du Selle Français en tant que SFA et SFB avant le 1er janvier 2009 sont considérés comme SF

The SFA and SFB was implemented for a very short period, prior to January 2009.

All the rules and regulations for the Studbook Selle Francais North America are availble online at: www.ansf-us.com
We invite you to visit our web site and contact us directly if you have any questions at: ansf.us@windstream.net
Looking forward to hearing from you!

[QUOTE=ANSF-US Info;6372066]
All the rules and regulations for the Studbook Selle Francais North America are availble online at: www.ansf-us.com
We invite you to visit our web site and contact us directly if you have any questions at: ansf.us@windstream.net
Looking forward to hearing from you![/QUOTE]

I’m posting instead of emailing, because I imagine I won’t be the only one with questions. First, I read the rules. You will accept non SF mares that have been approved by a WBFSH registry into the “label” mare book after review of scores. If an outside mare is entered into the “label” mare book and bred to an approved SF stallion, is the foal eligible for the main book? I guess I’m confused by the “label” book–it looks like it is the same level as the Main Mare book, but just for mares that are approved for breeding, but not necessarily out of/by 2 SF parents? Is this correct?

If a mare is entered into the label book and she is bred to a SF stallion, is the foal eligible for full papers? I want to ask specifically about my mare, but will email you. It does appear that you do not require any type of inspections directly by your studbook?

Does the book have full reciprocity with SF in France? Reading the stallion guidelines it appears a SF stallion approved in France is automatically eligible as a SF-US stallion, BUT I do not see that a US born SF-US stallion is approved for French breeders–is that correct?

Are the x-ray findings on the stallions published anywhere?

Thank you for your time. I’m sure many others will have similar questions.

[QUOTE=andy.smaga;6372007]
You are right, the SFA and SFB do not exist anymore, they are simply SF

The official text: Les chevaux inscrits au stud-book du Selle Français en tant que SFA et SFB avant le 1er janvier 2009 sont considérés comme SF

The SFA and SFB was implemented for a very short period, prior to January 2009.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting. So the SFA and SFB was only around about 2 years or so.

Andy –

Do you know why that they haven’t been changed in the French SF database to reflect the new designation ? I checked last night and my mares are still listed as either SFA or SFB. My mares were registered on the historical designation before the SFA and SFB but then were changed in the database when they went to that system. Their registration papers are still from the historical registration designation.

I thought I had finally understood it but guess not :smiley:

Rules and regulations of studbooks are confusing and do change on a regular basis. I cannot speak for the ANSF in France but would be more than happy to relay specific questions to them (unless I know the answer and can reply directly).
Both parents need to be approved SF for the offspring to be eligible. Stallions need to be approved by both ANSF-US and ANSF France. NASFA (ex ANSF-US) approved stallions or mares are automatically approved ANSF-US.
Mares of other breeds or breed registries are eligible on a case by case system. They will need to have a sufficient inspection score from another ANSF-US approved registry, production record and possibly performance records. Visual support can also be required (photos and videos). They also can be asked to be inspected. Once approved, they will be “Labeled” SF, entered in the Label SF mare book and their offspring will be eligible for full papers (provided that they are by an approved SF stallion). There are no “levels” of books; Just one for SF mares and one for non SF mares.

We hope to have inspections in the near future but do not have set dates as of yet.

Yes, the ANSF-US papers are world recognized and horses registered here will be entered in the French books as well.

All stallions approved by ANSF are approved by ANSF-US. We will most likely approve young stallions here at some point and these horses will also be recognized in France. We have already approved a few proven US based stallions. These stallions are also now approved worldwide as SF stallions.

X-ray findings on the stallions are not published.

I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

I want to publicly thank the SF Registry for the prompt and thorough way in which my email was answered. I now understand completely what documents and photos are required in order to register my Thoroughbred mare so her foal by a SF approved stallion can be registered. I also think their willingness to jump in and post here is fantastic. I wish them success here in the US!
PennyG

[QUOTE=TKR;6373303]
I want to publicly thank the SF Registry for the prompt and thorough way in which my email was answered. I now understand completely what documents and photos are required in order to register my Thoroughbred mare so her foal by a SF approved stallion can be registered. I also think their willingness to jump in and post here is fantastic. I wish them success here in the US!
PennyG[/QUOTE]

I agree. I appreciated the answer on here as well.

Bumping this topic! I am looking to buy a Selle Francais mare that is ANSF eligible. My intention would be to register her so I could breed her eventually to a lovely SF stallion in France.

I have emailed ANSF and they have been very helpful with information. I guess I am just looking to hear any recent experiences, information or anecdotes about the breed within North America. :slight_smile:

Commenting for more information too.

I have a JC mare in foal to On Ira (French studbook). From what I understand emailing back and forth with the NA Office, my foal is eligible for registration since my mare is a Jockey Club mare, though she’s not be “approved” or inspected.

The NA website is pretty vague, and doesn’t seem very informational. So I’m wondering if it’s even worth the expense of registering the foal SF-NA.

1 Like