Unlimited access >

Selle Francais Registry Questions

I know the SF has re-opened an office in the US and there are some SF breeders in North America. Glad to see an interest as they seem to have a very interesting line-up and wealth of talent. Soooo, will there be inspections – if so, is there a schedule that can be accessed? I know Thoroughbreds have played a large part in this breed – how are Thoroughbred mares inspected/approved for this registry so their foals by SF stallions can be registered? My interest is that a friend/client and I are sharing on a breeding of one of my Thoroughbred mares to the stallion owned now by Kathy and Jos of Avalon Equine/Equine Reproduction, Edelweiss de Bonce. I know he is approved by other registries, but since he is an SF, I am just curious about how this works. I am sure this would be of interest possibly to other breeders who don’t know alot about this registry or its rules and procedures. TIA.
PennyG

Perhaps a careful reading of this website will clarify your question. If not, you could ask the director directly through the email address on the site.

http://www.ansf-us.com/

I did read through the website but found it rather vague and no information regarding inspections/sites/dates.
PennyG

[QUOTE=Sakura Hill Farm;6369255]
… If not, you could ask the director directly through the email address on the site.

http://www.ansf-us.com/[/QUOTE]

Next step.

Penny, I love Edelweis de Bonce- best of luck with your breeding!

He’s a lovely stallion but it seems like he’s not approved SF. Would probably be easier/less expensive to have mare approved with a registry that he is approved for.

My recollection is that he is approved for breeding SFs in France. If that’s the case, he’s approved in the US. When Avalon first got him it was during the SF org. exodus from the US, and I seem to recall that Avalon went through all sorts of hoops because they had French breeders who wanted to use him.

I think this is his information page at the SF (hope link works!)

http://harasire.haras-nationaux.fr/HARASIRE/consultation/chevaux/info_generales/contenu_info_generales.jsp?SrcPage=liste&CheNucheval=wtpxvctl

There ya go! The NA side should really list the stallions approved in Europe, now standing in the US… He was one of three SF stallions I could think of in the US and was surprised he wasn’t listed.

Thanks! I had an email back from the SF office today with information as to how to have the mare recorded/registered w/o inspection and register the foal. I mentioned the stallion she has been bred to and they did not indicate that he is not approved. Thanks for the research of his approval in France. Hopefully, that is going to work here as well. I know he is approved elsewhere, I just thought since that is where he is actually registered and his ‘breed’ I would use it.
PennyG

[QUOTE=JWB;6369971]
He’s a lovely stallion but it seems like he’s not approved SF. Would probably be easier/less expensive to have mare approved with a registry that he is approved for.[/QUOTE]

He most emphatically “is” approved Selle Francais. His breeder, Monique Sadler and Catherine Haddad Staller went before their board in France in order to get his approval. As there was no active organization over here, I had no reason to activate him, but Monique has frozen semen on him in France and there is frozen semen available on him in England, so his offspring over there “are” eligible for registration and since it looks like they will be active over here again, I would assume the registration/approval would be reciprocal.

Does anyone know whether SF inspect and approve stock horse breeds?

[QUOTE=Fred;6371399]
Does anyone know whether SF inspect and approve stock horse breeds?[/QUOTE]

No they don’t. The SF is pretty strict on what they allow in the registry. Until fairly recently it was a pretty closed book.

[QUOTE=JWB;6370539]
There ya go! The NA side should really list the stallions approved in Europe, now standing in the US… He was one of three SF stallions I could think of in the US and was surprised he wasn’t listed.[/QUOTE]

There are more than 3 stallions in the US that are approved for breeding by the SF that do not appear on the approved stallion list. Off the top of my head:

Edelweiss de Bonce
Juan Valdez Carolina
Icarus de Carolina
Crin Rouge
Mezacalero
Coconut Grove
Special Memories

[QUOTE=Fred;6371399]
Does anyone know whether SF inspect and approve stock horse breeds?[/QUOTE]

No, stock horse and drafts are not acceptable. There was, once upon a time, a “grid” that showed acceptable crosses and what they were "recognized as…but geez…that’s probably been 15 or 20 years ago that I remember seeing that.

[QUOTE=Equine Reproduction;6371623]
No, stock horse and drafts are not acceptable. There was, once upon a time, a “grid” that showed acceptable crosses and what they were "recognized as…but geez…that’s probably been 15 or 20 years ago that I remember seeing that.[/QUOTE]

And those ones aren’t even correct anymore :smiley:

I believe basically 3 divisions:

Stud Book Selle Francais Section A (both parents SF)

Stud Book Selle Francais Section B (one parent SF and the other parent approved other WB stud book, approved TB, approved arab) … but I think the other WB parent has to have at least 50% SF blood (I may be wrong on this point though)

Cheval de Selle (one parent SF and the other a non-approved parent)

I think there is still a French Arab division, pony division, and maybe a couple of others but the 3 above are the main ones.

So the OP mare and Edelweiss would produce an offspring in the Stud Book Selle Francais Section B, as long as, the mare is inspected and approved for breeding.

Yeah…Kinda figured that definitely dated me :). There “used” to be a “fracteur Selle Francais” division. But things change.

I believe basically 3 divisions:

Stud Book Selle Francais Section A (both parents SF)

Stud Book Selle Francais Section B (one parent SF and the other parent approved other WB stud book, approved TB, approved arab) … but I think the other WB parent has to have at least 50% SF blood (I may be wrong on this point though)

Cheval de Selle (one parent SF and the other a non-approved parent)

I think there is still a French Arab division, pony division, and maybe a couple of others but the 3 above are the main ones.

So the OP mare and Edelweiss would produce an offspring in the Stud Book Selle Francais Section B, as long as, the mare is inspected and approved for breeding.[/QUOTE]

;)…thanks for the clarification. So many of the registries have evolved over the years that it’s difficult to stay current on a registry that ceased operations in this country. I’m THRILLED they are trying to make a comeback!

Du Gateau (Laudanum x Night and Day x Ibrahim) also stands privately in the United States at Gray Fox Farm.

andy.smaga would know, but it’s my understanding that there are no longer SFAs, and SFBs. There are only SFs. It’s been a fairly recent change–maybe within the past three or four years.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;6371834]
andy.smaga would know, but it’s my understanding that there are no longer SFAs, and SFBs. There are only SFs. It’s been a fairly recent change–maybe within the past three or four years.[/QUOTE]

Less than 5 years ago they changed it from SF, Facteur Selle Francais, and Cheval de Selle to the SFA, SFB and Cheval de Selle. When they made this change my horses were changed in the database from SF to either SFA or SFB. I just checked the database several minutes ago and my horses are still listed as either SFA or SFB so I think this is still the status of the registry.

Could be they changed it again but the French tend to be slow making registry changes and I doubt they changed the registry again in such a short period of time.