Unlimited access >

Selling a foal and pricing

My mare is bred for the first time and has just been confirmed in foal! My plan with this mare has always been to breed her before she gets too old, sell the foal, and in her later teen years breed her again (if this first breeding/foaling goes well) and keep that next foal for myself as she enters retirement and lighter riding years. I’ve bred her to a stallion who I think compliments her, and who I think will produce a marketable foal. But I’m not sure how to determine an asking price.

But as I have never gone through this process personally before, I’m looking for some guidance!
We are in north western Canada, in a relatively remote area.

About the mare:
Her breeding isn’t particularly of note. She is nicer than her breeding implies. Very correct, maybe a little long in the back. To me, she moves and looks like a hunter. The level at which she has been ridden and shown is completely limited due to my own ability. Never have I faced her to anything that felt like it was nearing her limit. I have schooled to 3rd level dressge, 3’3 jumpers, and pre-training eventing. She has a good disposition and is amature friendly. https://www.clrc.ca/search-registry/pedigree?_h=1&_lang=en&_breedcode=WC&_countrycode=CAN&_regnumberprefix=&_regnumber=8753&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=27

The stallion is Sporcken, who is standing at Dreamscape farms.

The foal will be registered CWB.
I’m not particularly concerned with the price. The goal is to sell early, as I am not intending on keeping this foal for myself, but I am able to do so if need be. I think it is more likely to sell it locally, as there is a decent English community here, and not much in the way of warmblood breeding. The mare is well known and liked locally. This would be easier if the mare’s breeding had some bigger names in it, and I would feel more comfortable comparing the other foals by the sire, but since the mare doesn’t have much to her name, I’m a little stuck!

Around here I would guess somewhere between $5000 and $8000 US just based on what you’ve posted (assuming it is nice, big, correct, and can be registered). But I’m not an expert by any means.

1 Like

Can you post a conformation photo of your mare? That would be helpful since you mention that her pedigree isn’t of note. I know almost nothing about Warmblood pedigrees. What is her competition record? That will matter .If it is solid, even if only locally, that will help to sell the foal.

You will have to wait until she foals to see what she produces and then price accordingly. Good luck! If she passes on a good temperament to her foal that’s a huge bonus.

Are you thinking of marketing the foal to buyers of a certain discipline? You’ll have to see what you get and then decide.

1 Like

At our last show (in 2019 pre covid) we had marks in the high 60s for second level, and our freestyle we got 71%. We had the second highest score of the whole show. At the same show she won best in show in halter, across all horses/breeds (QH, WB, ponies, Spanish breeds, arabs, etc) of all in halter. I don’t remember exactly how many horses, but well over 50. We always place, and often win flat classes. We usually walk away with a high point, usually dressage or over all English. But this is at a local/regional level. Though we do get good, EC certified judges.

Her breeding is more dressage based, and that’s what feel is more marketable in this area, so I went with a modern type, dressage bred stallion.

4 Likes

She is lovely! How old is she now?

To be very picky, she is a bit short/upright in her pasterns , but that could be how she is shod or just the angle of the photo.

She is beautiful. Wait and see what her foal looks like before you think about pricing. I think you’ll have a good chance of her producing a nice one.

As soon as your foal is up and around (3 weeks) take pictures of the foal trotting and cantering in the pasture with mum. You should preferably have photos taken by an experienced professional or amateur photographer that is horsey, and experienced in equine photography. It is worth the cost, because inexperienced photographers can make any horse look terrible. Once you have the photos, ask again about pricing if your goal is to sell early.

4 Likes

Thank you! I agree with you on the pasterns, I think they are on the short/upright side of normal. She has good flexibility in them, and I haven’t had any soundness issues there, so far so good! She’s 13 now. Was started as a 5 year old.

I’m pretty handy with a camera, so I’ll definitely be taking lots! Thank you very much for your advice!

1 Like

I won’t be so useful when the foal comes and it’s time to decide on an asking price. :smile:

There are Warmblood breeders here though, that will be able to help you in that respect when the time comes.

1 Like