Unlimited access >

Selling a horse with a trial

It is a common practice among H/J trainers who have long associations to do a trial, and/or try the horse at a show. Send to an unknown trainer? No way. They can kick tires elsewhere.

IF you do proceed, make sure to document that the buy-back price is not necessarily the sale price and may be much lower.

4 Likes

The only time I sent a horse on trial I did a PPE first to determine that the horse was sound and healthy when it went to them.

1 Like

Sounds entirely to their benefit and none to yours. Don’t do it!

3 Likes

If you have insurance on the horse the potential buyer cannot purchase a policy. It’s covered under your policy for the trial. Two insurance policies on the same animal is double indemnity and illegal.

1 Like

Every time they interact with a horse, this includes, rugging, feeding, bathing, tending to wounds. There is no just throwing a biscuit of hay over the fence, you are training the horse even doing that.

1 Like

In my experience everyone who gets a new horse experiences issues at the 2 to 4 week mark unless they are deliberately starting or restarting a project. Two weeks is just long enough for the inevitable behavior problems to start but not long enough to fix them.

3 Likes

If the “buyer” has not bought the horse they can not insure that horse, even a leased horse the policy has to be in the name of the owner with the lessee list as additional insured.

Also I would check with the insurance carrier as you can get excess coverage policies for most anything that are secondary to the primary policy (but usually the value of the horse has already been determined, most owners if they are insuring the horse have already insured it at the agreed value)

Is this a super expensive horse? Are you in a remote area? Is it a tricky horse? Does it have significant PPE findings? What I’m trying to ask is: Is this a difficult horse to sell for some reason?

If not, move on. This situation sounds like a train wreck in the making. The client and her trainer have never seen or sat on the horse and they want YOU to guarantee it’s a good fit. Um, yanno. If they want to see if it’s a good fit, THEY need to take the time and effort to come ride him/her.

5 Likes

If this is someone’s first horse, there is the possibility that there is NO vet reference to give. Even if someone has a dog or cat and has taken one or the other to the vet, it might not be possible. Example: My horse vets work out of a clinic that has separate vets for “large animals” and “small animals”, and they never cross ‘animals.’

Same with a farrier. Until someone gets/uses that FIRST farrier, they may not know each other from ‘sasquatch’.

3 Likes

our local clinic is like that too…small/large animal clinics separate (same location though). AND same billing/office dept. Large animal side is going to be able to give reference as to what kind of a client someone is. Regular w/vaccines etc.

And, anyone adopting any kind of dog or cat from a shelter is going to need to fill out a form with their vet (prospective or actual). Want to get a horse from a rescue org? You’re going to need these references also. (farrier and vet).

If you are buying a horse, you are going to need to suss-out the farrier situation in advance. If your (the horse seller) has these questions on their interview questionnaire it is going to help the first time buyer get thinking along the right direction. You will be doing your horse a good service by getting that buyer to line up the VIPs in advance of a horse.

I say no to trials. I had one bad experience and that was enough.

I think saying you plan to use Big Vet Practice does not equal Big Vet Practice being able to give you a reference.
They might have no clue that you are horse shopping.

I can say the horse vet I use is an equine only practice. So if the person is a first time owner that is shopping and planned to use them, there is no option for them to have a clue what type of client the buyer would be.

1 Like

and you (buyer) can write that on your prospective. That you’ve given it consideration and have a plan should suffice to the horse’s seller.

I know I would be concerned that a buyer would have a plan for (my) horse’a care.

1 Like

I let my horse go on trial for what was to be for 2 weeks. I had them give me a cashier’s check for the full purchase price and sign a contract with the usual verbiage. I also allowed them to use my tack and I took a bunch of pictures of it just in case and provided them with his grain in baggies. The first day was fine, girl and horse had a good time and seemed good with each other. Next day was not so fine and they decided to end the trial. One bad ride and they give up on him. And I had to go down and get him which was over 2 hours away. They wouldn’t tell me what he did that was so bad they didn’t want him.

2 Likes

“The people are first time owners and buyers buying on their trainers recommendations sight unseen and untried.”

No, you do not sell a horse to people like this. First time owners is bad enough, but NOT even trying or seeing the horse. Heck no! This is a disaster waiting to happen.

And a trial or a buy back. No! The horse will not work out for them. They don’t know anything and will want to return. You are not Nordstrom’s where they take any kind of return.

Just say no thanks. I feel this is not a good situation for my horse. And then run like hell. There is no need in the current market to even entertain this buyer. You would have to be desperate. Are you desperate?

I sell horses all the time. I do sell horse to situations where the buyer does not come see the horse. That is fine for me for a foal and youngster assuming the buyer is experienced. First time buyer, buying for a kid, then the answer is no. Any riding horse – you need to come try the horse to be sure the horse suits and I need to be happy that it is match. I have no problem selling this way and I sleep well at night because I know I did my level best for the horse.

So to the OP, there is nothing to negotiate. You can’t sell the horse to these people. It is not the trial it is the buyer that is the problem. Huge Red Flag IMO.

10 Likes

what kind of trainer would have a client buy a horse untried either by the owner or the trainer in a first ownership situation.

This scenario is why so many horses end up in a bad way and each horse owner must think thoughtfully how they wish to contribute to the health of our sport.

be an advocate for both your horse and our sport

6 Likes

Excellent way to put it.

These buyers want to try a horse for size, like picking a coat out of Land’s End and sending it back if they don’t like or the fit is not right, then trying another, until one is just right? :rofl:

3 Likes

How far away do you allow the horse to go for a trial? That would be a major requirement to me.

I never have had any issues. It might be due to the fact that they were fairly quiet, well broke horses to begin with ( most bought for the kids) and while we had a “settling in” period where they got to know the other horses, they were consistent in handling and riding from the get go . Ages varied from 6 yrs to 11.

A more high strung horse may test the waters a bit , I agree. A 2 week trial would give you a fairly good idea in my experience.

@Minxitbabe I would never agree to a trial either as a buyer or seller. Too many things can go wrong on both ends.

1 Like

@candyappy

I’m at a self board barn with part time coaches but no coherent training program support.

I get to see alot of adult returning riders, adult beginners, juniors, and some accomplished amateurs or low level coaches.

The newer beginner or returning riders often buy horses that seem calm but then show problems, classic being dude string horse that is fine on dude string but completely herd bound and can’t even be handwalked alone by new owner.

The more competent ammies and low level pros and ambitious juniors are more likely to get an OTTB and have some big escapades.

I agree if you have the problem solving skills you can anticipate and work through these things. Obviously lots of folks do.

But my direct observation has been that things go bad around the 2 to 4 week mark :slight_smile: quite predictably though I am surprised every time I see it happen.

2 Likes