Unlimited access >

Selling a horse with a trial

This explains it all. I have seen it in my past when I boarded too. I picked up decent money( in my teens-20’s) fixing these kinds of horse/ owner matches.

I wouldn’t do it for this reason. First time owners will be even more likely to have the horse at their barn, have many bad rides in a row, and send the horse back. It just happens. No horse when it comes to you as a new partner is awesome. My trainer’s mantra is that it takes a year to know a new horse, and I’ve found that to be true.

Case in point - I bought a horse a few years ago. When I tried her, she was quiet, lovely, and had 3 solid gaits. I got her home and she was so tense she had a lateral walk for 2 months. I knew it would get better, and now, 2+ years later, we have a solid partnership. But man…it takes time.

So I just wouldn’t do it. Period.

2 Likes

Happy update! I did sell this horse with a prepaid trial which the buyers ended early. It worked out wonderfully and everyone is thrilled. Trainer is a fantastic horse person and was the one that picked my horse out for the family. New owners are totally new but in good hands. Facility I delivered horse to was fantastic. I am glad I went with my gut and followed through with the deal.

11 Likes

I sold my first horse back in the early '90s on a 10 day trial. A mom was buying first horse for 15yr daughter who was in a local lesson program. Mom was a lawyer, so was my dad, so she drew up a trial contract that he felt was fair. She paid a 20% non-refundable trial fee that would go to the purchase price if they kept my horse. If horse was returned, she had to be in original condition. Barn was close enough that I could check in at any time. On day 7, the mom called and said her trainer reported my mare stepped on a nail in a paddock. They had called their vet to begin treatment and were going to keep her anyway, so she paid in full later that day. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

2 Likes