Unlimited access >

Selling horse-related collectibles?

[I dithered about whether this should be in off-topic. Moderators, if it should be, my apologies! I was inspired to get around to posting this when the topic of selling Breyer horses came up in the other sales thread…]

In the ongoing effort to have a house with more space and less stuff we don’t use, we’re looking at unloading various horse-related stuff, in particular a very large herd of Breyer horses and various old National Horse Show swag people might be amused by.

I’ve heard “hey that stuff is worth money!” way too many times, never of course from anyone who wanted to buy it or with an idea more specific than “put it on ebay!” (Personally I find selling on ebay to be a huge pain in the butt, as these days it all seems much more geared to sellers of generic mass-produced items.)

Any suggestions for where it should land? Really what I’d love to hear is that there’s a consignment auction house somewhere in eastern US horse country that actually specializes in this sort of thing, but the only stuff I’ve seen has been racing related. There are certainly local consignment auctions, too, but I’m thinking if there actually is any collectible value in it all I’m unlikely to find a buyer there. A competent ebay consignment shop might also be a good option, but when I look at the ones I can find their listings are horrendous!

Thanks for any suggestions! (Even if they’re “stop wasting your time, it’s really only good only for the landfill”…)

Lots of places on FB that have pages for selling stuff.

Craigslist is free.

What about donating it to a childrens hospital, therapeutic riding center, something like that?

there is a Breyer sales group on FB. I would post them there and in the various places on FB groups

Craigslist if you want to sell cheap, fast.

Facebook if you want to sell by the piece. Be prepared by a lot of minors “tirekicking”.

Model Horse Sales Pages: free with no pictures, only $6 a year with free picture uploading.

eBay: best for good pricing, can have issues.

Breyer horses are exceedingly collectible, depending on what you have. I have a Facebook page dedicated strictly to valuing them. Please don’t “junk” them. :smiley:

Breyers, browse eBay and FB and see who’s getting the best prices. Ebay is actually easy, but unless you shell out for all the bells and whistles it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle unless you’ve got something REALLY unique.

Horse show stuff…eh…honestly, I don’t see much move unless it’s nice trophies or you happen to have something with a really famous name on it.

Consignment auctions really are not good unless you either have a HUGE volume (if so, check out “Everything But The House”, they will basically liquidate everything except real estate) or something that’s going for an enormous price tag as the commissions eat up a big chunk of the proceeds.

You have a PM from me in your Notifications inbox. :slight_smile:

Martin’s carriage auction, the Friday sale not the Saturday one, had a fair amount of collectibles/artwork/knick-knacks the time I went.

for the National Horse Show stuff, if it’s old-ish/“Vintage”, Etsy might be interesting. It will likely be people who are interested for decor / craft purposes, not because they understand the significance of the piece.

[QUOTE=Field of Dreams Mini Horses;8431958]
Craigslist if you want to sell cheap, fast.

Facebook if you want to sell by the piece. Be prepared by a lot of minors “tirekicking”.

Model Horse Sales Pages: free with no pictures, only $6 a year with free picture uploading.

eBay: best for good pricing, can have issues.

Breyer horses are exceedingly collectible, depending on what you have. I have a Facebook page dedicated strictly to valuing them. Please don’t “junk” them. :D[/QUOTE]
What is that FB page that you have? I have a bunch of breyers from when I was a kid, I would like to get rid of them and have no idea if they have value or not…

[QUOTE=islgrl;8437721]
What is that FB page that you have? I have a bunch of breyers from when I was a kid, I would like to get rid of them and have no idea if they have value or not…[/QUOTE]

Search “What is my Breyer Worth?” making sure to use the quotes… :smiley:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606242296318847/

Thanks for the ideas, all. We won’t junk the Breyers, if for no other reason than if they’re not worth anything I’ve had PMs from a few of you already volunteer to take them! :slight_smile: (From looking at resources above, the Breyers are likely nothing truly collectible; many have boxes, but some of them have 50+ years of love on them, and they certainly haven’t been sitting pristine.)

[QUOTE=amb;8441769]
Thanks for the ideas, all. We won’t junk the Breyers, if for no other reason than if they’re not worth anything I’ve had PMs from a few of you already volunteer to take them! :slight_smile: (From looking at resources above, the Breyers are likely nothing truly collectible; many have boxes, but some of them have 50+ years of love on them, and they certainly haven’t been sitting pristine.)[/QUOTE]

You’d be surprised what the die-hard vintage collectors put up with… :smiley:

[QUOTE=Field of Dreams Mini Horses;8441808]
You’d be surprised what the die-hard vintage collectors put up with… :D[/QUOTE]

Yep. Some can be rare enough that play-wear doesn’t matter much, others may not be rare but the buyer may want to remake/rehair so paint wear and rubs don’t matter.