Unlimited access >

Sending a mare from Canada to U.S. to be bred?

There are a couple of in the U.S. that I’d like to breed one of my mares to (German Riding Pony). However, the owners of some I like best don’t want to ship to Canada for various reasons - eg. the paperwork or because they live too far from an USDA vet, who has to have the original health certificate to sign. As I’m not too far from the Niagara/Fort Erie border, I am contemplating seeing if I can find a breeding farm near the border that I could send my mare to instead. Has anyone done this?

Interested to hear the replies… I’ve been contemplating this too, though it hadn’t occurred to me to just drop off the mare at a good repro facility near the border, that’s a pretty good idea (assuming you can find a reputable place you trust).

Easy peasy :slight_smile:

Coggins current within 6 months. Export health papers current within 30 days. If you time it right, she can be bred, preg checked and back home again within that 30 day time frame so you wont need to renew the health papers …

Don’t you also need health papers from a U.S. Federal vet confirming that the semen she was bred with isn’t CEM positive? Otherwise she could still be shedding the virus when she comes back across the border couldn’t she?

Yes, found it.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/cem/live-horses/eng/1356163445085/1356164037151