I have a 30 year old rocky gelding. (actually he is my DH’s horse) I have had him fat and looking great for the past 2 years on Purina senior and soaked beet pulp. Well this august he decided that he didn’t want the beet pulp anymore but he would still eat his wet Purina Senior. Started adding oil and some soaked alfalfa cubes and he was fine with that. He does better during the months that there is grass as he was quidding hay but still eating some. In September he decided he wasn’t going to eat any wet grain at all. So that ended the soaked alfalfa pellets Then he decided no oil so he is just getting his senior feed dry. Dentals are scheduled the middle of September. The dentist pulls his upper #4 molars on both sides as they we loose and had no roots. besides that his teeth were pretty good. After the dental he has been eating hay really well and I haven’t seen any balls that he is spitting out. I think this is great! Well shortly after the dental he decided that he doesn’t want grain at all and has developed a dry cough (no flem or crackling just a dry cough) I though it might be because his food wasn’t wet anymore but now that he really wasn’t eating grain I don’t think that was it. I started playing around with feeds, trying to find one he would eat. Right now he is getting the TC senior and is eating about half what he should be eating. He is in his stall for 3 hours AM and PM to make sure no one else gets his food but eventually he will just stand in the corner and snooze until I let him back out.
I had the vet out last week, we pulled bloodwork and he suggested a combo of Guaifenesin and Zyrtec for the cough. We are trying it for a week to see if it helps before we move on to something else.
Got a message on Friday about his blood work. He said everything looked normal except t\is blood protein was low and his cushings test was “a little high” which I expected at his age.
This weekend I decided that I would try offering him some alfalfa in his stall since he has been eating hay so well and that was a BIG hit.
I’m waiting for a callback from the vet this morning to discuss his blood work but I wanted to pick COTH’s mind about ideas on what else I can try with him to get his weight back up? I’m scared that he won’t make it through the winter if we keep at this rate.