Unlimited access >

Senior Horse with EMS and Inability to Chew Hay

My 27 yo QHxWelsh gelding’s manure has changed dramatically since being taken off long-stemmed hay in April 2022, per the recommendation of the equine dentist. When the horse turned up I/R for the first time in May 2022, his diet was transitioned again from alfalfa pellets, lower-starch senior grain and r/s/r no molasses beet pulp to LMF Low NSC complete pellets and TC Timothy Balance cubes. He currently also gets chia seeds, Cal Trace Plus, SmartGut pellets, MSM, Simplifly and salt. He has been on one Equioxx daily for arthritis for about 2 years. I continue to give him a few handfuls of orchard grass hay daily for a bit of chewing satisfaction. I see no dropped chewed hay or long stems in his manure. The hay has been tested at 5.4% ESC +starch.

The problem is that his manure has gone from well-formed to cow-patty consistency, with periodic bouts of full-on diarrhea for a day or two. The diarrhea is quite smelly. Our summer climate is hot and dry. I bring him in to the barn with fans and misters during the the hottest days, but the problem pre-dates summer.

We have tried courses of Gastrogard and Biosponge, and different probiotics including GUT and ProBios. Our vet seems OK with the cow patty consistency, but gets concerned about the diarrhea. In the day or two it takes to get her out for a regular ranch call, it has usually cleared up.

Any recommendations on other low NSC feed formats to try, medications, fecal studies appreciated! I have seen recommendations for KER Equisure in other threads but am hesitant to keep trying supplements as nothing seems to have helped so far.

1 Like

The runny manure could be because of colitis caused by him no longer being able to masticate hay properly. Irritation in the intestines can lead to poor digestion. Without removing the hay entirely it’s tough to say.

Has your vet mentioned anything about a fecal transplant?

It’s a small quantity of hay but that could be right. Vet has not seen any symptoms of colitis when the diarrhea is occurring. I am going to talk to her about studies/transplant next time she’s out (which could be tomorrow if he isn’t better coming off zero hay today).

Look into daily psyllium. One of the side effects seen in some studies looking at it for sand removal (hay is way better) is that longer-term use has a positive impact on the hind gut microbiome health, and more than few people have resolved free fecal water symdrome (not what you’re dealing with, I know) as a result.

Worth a try, I added psyllium yesterday.

I have another gelding with free fecal water. I substituted chia seeds for flax and it improved a lot. Attended a FFW Zoom with Penn State researcher yesterday. Current research suggests stress is the #1 cause, and that it improves most with reduction of stress and increased percentage of forage/decreased grain in diet. They are still working on understanding the chemical reactions in gut.

1 Like