Unlimited access >

Sentimentally attached to old equipment?

A little lighthearted fun on a Monday: Does anyone else have a piece of equipment that they are unreasonably sentimentally attached to? Like you know you need to throw it away and get a replacement, but you just can’t bring yourself to do it? A customer gave me this wide-tooth comb at least 20 years ago. As you can see it has seen better days. I have a replacement in my tack trunk – identical comb, just a different color. But every time I get it out with the intention of using it, it goes back in the tack trunk. I’m a little ashamed to admit that I have even dug through the trash bin to retrieve this old one. Why? I think it’s simply because of all the fond memories attached to it from that era in my life when I got it. Does anyone else care to admit to using old worn out things that you just can’t seem to let go of?

13 Likes

we keep all the halters and leads of our horses that have passed away hung in the tack room with all the extras, except for Socrates’s which was reused to take Lexie to Morgan Nationals as her showy halter had not arrived before she shipped… then the last day there some one stole it off Lexie’s stall door.

It was stolen as it had a large brass plate with her name and our farm name on it so it was not accidently used by some one.

5 Likes

My Ariat boots. I bought them when I was 40-something when I switched to a western saddle and had wanted a pair of “cowgirl” boots since I was 4. I tried to sell them once years later when I needed money but I was so relieved when the “interested” buyer disappeared. Even at age 40 they weren’t comfortable for walking (tho’ great for riding!) and when I started riding again I bought some new boots that were good for walking and riding.
I haven’t worn either pair now in 3 years :sob: but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them.

3 Likes

I still have my custom made Dehners. I think they are a size 8. Of course, no zippers! I just. couldn’t. let. them. go. But I think I could now. Of course, there is probably no market for them.

4 Likes

I still have my first horse’s nylon halter, and every horse since spends a little time wearing it. It’s faded, but still in good shape!

5 Likes

I have a work bridle like that. I use it on every new horse hoping that some of the good karma from the old horse it was originally used on will rub off.

4 Likes

Exactly! :heart::heart:

2 Likes

I have a Weatherbeeta rain sheet that can no longer be waterproofed. I haven’t yet been able to throw it away because it belonged to a beloved horse and is such a memorable blue/brown plaid. I wish I could just find another use for it.

7 Likes

I’ve been eyeballing some of my old, unused blankets wondering if they could be turned into saddle covers or carriers. Maybe an option?

1 Like

I have the pancake style close contact saddle I was given as a graduation gift. It is not fancy.

I can never get rid of it, even though it fits nothing (in my barn or my fat back side).

10 Likes

I have Useful (well, maybe :roll_eyes:):
*My 1989 custom Vogel dress boots.
They’ve been back to NY 3X!
First for gussets, then back zips & finally for a zip repair.
Still fit, still comfy, but I don’t show anymore.
So, they sit on a chair & every now & then I clean & condition them.
When I ride it’s in the 22yo custom Dehner paddocks.
Also sentimental as they were bought with $ from a life insurance policy DH left that I’d been unaware of.

Then there’s the Strictly Sentimental:
*2 nylon-bristle body brushes, gifts from shareboarders nearly 30yrs ago.
Worn concave from use, color (one pink, one green) faded, they’re still in my grooming boxes & I still use them on current horses.
This is the 3rd set of horses groomed with the brushes.
*The grooming halters of:
My 1st horse (TB). A gift from my then-trainer, Walsh with brass nameplate
DH’s TWH, Xmas gift from me, not Walsh, but nice & same brass nameplate.
Both could be listed with Usable, as both are still used.
TB’s mostly hangs outside current pony’s stall & wouldn’t fit him.
DH’s is in use on 3rd horse since losing the Walker.
& I’m reminded of the tack trunk in my basement.
Assembled & customized by DH & me, from a kit Dover used to sell.
Too nice to move to my barn, where dust & rodents would destroy it.
Also contains more sentiment, in th form of sets of polo wraps that haven’t been on a horse for decades & other “stuff” collected over the years.
Not jampacked, but probably 90% could be discarded :pensive:

6 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s something you’d be interested in, but Calyse does beautiful work repurposing old saddles like this into bags! I’ve had my eye on the “Saint” style for a while.

2 Likes

I still keep pretty much everything that hasn’t been totally worn out past any use, just in case, although I passed along a few foal halters when we got completely out of breeding, and I managed to toss a couple of my first horse’s blankets after they completely disintegrated (many years after he was gone) even though I miss them (and him) still. I have sufficient space for storing these things in my tack room, so where’s the harm?

Whenever we finally downsize, and the last horse passes, my plan is to keep a few items that I can showcase where ever we end up. Perhaps a shadow box with a few bits, and a bridle or two on a hook, or even a hoof pick, since those can be hung on a wall; possibly a saddle on a stand if there’s room in a corner (I love the smell of good leather).

@clanter, that’s awful about the halter :slightly_frowning_face:.

4 Likes

When I have to move barns or residences is when I reconsider the Museum To Useful Artifacts of My Past. :grin:

So here is my current solution. Other people may or may not witness this. It’s probably better if they don’t. :laughing:

I hold the item respectfully in both hands. If it’s small, I may close my hands on it so that it knows it is treasured and loved.

Then I say a few words about what a grand item it has been, about the good times and the bad times, and how much it has contributed to my life (and the lives of others, human and animal, if they were involved).

Then I send it onward into the ‘dry’ trash in a ceremonial manner. Making sure it goes down in where it can’t be seen.

And never think about it again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yesterday I ceremonially said goodbye to a thoroughly used and battered pair of riding gloves into the dry barn trash.

(Trash with no food or liquids, so items will remain dry & in present condition until trash leaves permanently. For some reason I have a hard time discarding previously important items into icky kitchen-type trash. It seems disrespectful, somehow. But no problems putting them in ‘dry’ trash.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea.

Not really my thing (not a purpose type person, and not in my price range).

1 Like

I kept ahold of my Wide Front Crosby PDN for decades (I got it in 1977.) It was just too pretty a saddle to get rid of even though it does not seem to fit the lesson horses I ride.

So now it lives in my living room on my Home Horse and I finally get to ride in it again!!! I love that saddle.

8 Likes

Yup!

I have my saddle that was given to me when I was 18. Its been on a lot of horse’s backs and I can’t part with it and funny enough I have about 3 pull combs I can’t seem to toss. (saddle lives on a rack in my office).

1 Like

There’s a company in Maine that makes really cute bags from old horse blankets. I’m having one made using my dearly departed 30-year-old mare’s blankets. It’s a really small company with a heck of a waiting list, but it will be a nice surprise when it arrives later this fall.

6 Likes

Yeah, if they were priced a little lower, I would’ve grabbed one of the smaller bags a long time ago. But it’s a small artist, and I’m sure the take forever to make, so for now I just ogle every drop she posts…

The delusional side of me sees these awesome recycled items and is often tempted to try and DIY my own!

3 Likes

I have the halter Feronia was wearing when she arrived after I bought her over 16 years ago.

6 Likes