Unlimited access >

Sentinel Gastric Support vs Purina Outlast?

Blue Seal has a new product Sentinel Care Gastric Support similar to Purina Outlast. It has some interesting ingredients in it. Has anyone tried this versus the Purina Outlast to help deal with got issues in their horses? Thanks

Not yet, but thanks for the heads up. I currently have a bag of Nutrena Empower Digestive Balance ordered, but if my picky gelding doesn’t like it I’ll try the Blue Seal next. He absolutely will not eat the Outlast top-dressed, the Outlast cookies or ADM’s Forage First. I’m really struggling to find something to maintain his gut so I can wean him off the daily Gastrogard when he won’t eat any of the feed through solutions. The Nutrena is supposedly peppermint flavored so I’m optimistic, but I’d love to hear if this other product is palatable as well.

Interesting… of course AFTER I switch my horses that had been on BS to Purina specifically FOR the Outlast. Of course…

It’s just different. The biggest hind gut impact I see from the BS product is butyric acid, which helps create a healthy intestinal lining, and has been part of Triple Crown formulas for a while now.

All the ingredients appear to support the hind gut, as opposed to the stomach support that Outlast provides

Hmm maybe. So nothing to help with the PH of the stomach? Isn’t the butyric acid to help with gastric emptying or am I thinking of something else?

ButiPEARL® Z EQ - The Powerful Effect of Butyric Acid and Zinc | Animal Gut Health Integrity & Solutions (kemin.com)

The combination of zinc and butyric acid strengthens the lining of the gut, leading to improved nutrient absorption and a stronger barrier against pathogens, parasites and toxins. A healthier gut means less Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS).

Ah. So maybe I should look into this and continue with the Outlast.

I think it does have the same buffering as Outlast (which has “seaweed-derived calcium” listed as an ingredient)

From the Blue Seal website:

Bioavailable calcium and magnesium from a natural marine algae source helps support normal gastric pH and health.

2 Likes

Hmmm I missed that in their marketing blurb

I was going off the ingredient list:

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Calcite, Brewers Liquid Yeast, Reed-Sedge Peat, Cane Molasses, Yeast Extract, Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Butyric Acid, Zinc Oxide, Peppermint Essential Oil, Artificial Flavor, Magnesium Oxide, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis Fermentation Product.

In contrast, the Outlast ingredients are:

Sun-cured alfalfa, wheat middlings, seaweed-derived calcium, cane molasses,
magnesium oxide, citric acid.

Woah, there’s a lot more ingredients in the BS product…that’s really interesting.

Interesting. When I searched for more information on butyric acid I come to find out it’s already in the Equimix in my Triple Crown feed…

Yep! They added Equimix a while ago

1 Like

In the ingredient vernacular, calcite = marine-sourced calcium. Otherwise it’s listed as calcium carbonate, which has the same basic chemical formula (CaCO3), but a different molecular structure. The selling point of the marine-sourced/derived calcite is that it has a porous honeycomb structure from being laid down in an algal framework with lots of surface area to interact with digestive acids. Traditional limestone derived calcium carbonate is more platy, and has less acid-interactive surface area.

3 Likes