September Yearling Sales 2020

I think there are too many variables to answer that. So many different situations exist. You’d have to ask each individual seller what their “break even” price on each yearling would be.I don’t see how a generalization could be made.

Just curious: When yearlings are sold and head to their new owner’s barn (or to a training center maybe?) do they go with a package of information–what they kind of feed they have been getting, how much, when wormed last, when shots last, etc.?

These are Keeneland requirements. https://www.keeneland.com/sites/default/files/Coggins-EVA-OneSheeter-3.pdf

I would expect the seller would provide the horse’s new connections with any info they would need about the horse’s feed, but I don’t know if they would do so in writing or verbally.
@LaurieB would know I’m sure.

The rule of thumb–generally speaking–is that two and a half times stud fee is break even (though for a very high stud fee it is more like two times; and for a very low one, three times.)

That amount takes into account the (fractional) cost of acquiring the mare, board for the mare during the year she is in foal, board for the foal until it sells as a yearling, basic veterinary care, farrier, vanning, and sales costs and commissions. The thought is that yearlings for whom a higher stud fee was paid are out of better (and therefore more expensive) mares so the equation holds true pretty much across the board.

And if you’re wondering about the math with regard to this sale: yes, it is a bloodbath for breeders.

2 Likes

Almost every reputable consignor will send health records with a sales horse. It will include vaccination and worming info, and a new coggins certificate. Info about feed is sometimes offered, but not usually.

Seems like I read somewhere that Nijinsky, after being sold at auction, arrived at his new place in England and absolutely would not eat. They finally called his Canadian connections to order a shipment of whatever he had been getting, express across the Pond. Of course, on the day it arrived, Nijinsky suddenly decided to eat the English horse feed.

1 Like

Thanks LaurieB for the info, much appreciated. I am just surprised to see some (apparently) nice looking yearlings going for the very low single thousands. I know that there is more to the horse than the 30 second or so appearance in the bid ring, but still. It must be heartbreaking for the breeders (not too mention bank balance breaking) to see a yearling sell for two thousand dollars, or five, or even ten.

It’s absolutely heartbreaking, both emotionally and financially.

Most TB breeders have multiple mares they breed each year. So when you factor in the cost to get a yearling from this point to the race track at two–assuming nothing goes wrong, around 25-30K–it becomes imperative that at least some of those yearlings get sold, even if their breeders are taking a loss.

1 Like

It is painful to watch.

General question. I’m watching the sale on and off. There are some lovely yearlings that are going for quite cheap that appear well bred. I just saw a Liam’s Map filly on a Distorted Humor mare sell for 4 K . Leggy , pretty. And there are so many nice ones selling for peanuts. Is there usually something on the vetting? Or is the middle market really just that bad right now? I’m almost tempted to be one of the “internet bidders” but I have no control at auctions, so it would not end up well.

The middle of the market has been terrible for several years now.

#2706 Outwork, lovely. hammer 3K :frowning: There may be little things that buyers don’t like in the vetting but usually not so problematic to justify these prices.
Some of the horses that hammer for so little end up as RNA.

Do the sales yearlings at Keeneland have to pass any kind of minimum quality threshold or inspection to get put in the sales books? Or is it open to all comers?

The sale inspectors go to the farms and look at the horses. How correct they are and how deep their pedigree will be the deciding factors as to which book they are placed.

Super physical, great mover, by popular Stallion out of Black type mare with good production record will most likely land the horse in the book 1. Horses by less popular stallions without a super dam line that aren’t as correct will be put in the lower books. Some very good racehorses have come from the lower books as well as the higher books.

I don’t know if the auction would refuse a horse due to poor quality or not. They are put in the lowest book or I’d guess just not entered in the sale by the owner, since they would be unlikely to sell. @LaurieB can answer that for us I’m sure.

Skydy ( and others). Who is your favorite breed to race sire who gets a nice horse at a reasonable price?
And , I didn’t see that Outwork filly but she had a pretty decent pedigree.

jolise, I don’t breed racehorses, only have an interest in the TB breed and bloodlines. @LaurieB may answer your question. I do know that stallion choice depends on your mares and can be quite different depending on if you are breeding to race or to sell.

Unfortunately as you can see, the market is such that you can have a good looking nicely bred yearling that doesn’t bring what it should.

1 Like

The Outwork filly was sold for 3K. Possible that people saw something in the vetting or her movement they didn’t like, but as LaurieB has said, it doesn’t take much for the horse to be completely dismissed due to a fairly minor veterinary issue.

A friend of mine bought hip 2532, a Goldencents filly.
I know California Chrome foals are not popular, but I really like the hip 2604 Chrome filly.
Fun watching the sale.

1 Like

Congrats to your friend, that looks like a lovely filly!

From what I can see in the video, the C.C. filly does look nice. His get are all so different, you never know what to expect.:slight_smile:

Nice Animal Kingdom colt out of an A.P. Indy mare 32K