September Yearling Sales 2020

Thanks!! Been watching every day and wondering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arrogate # 1581 350K hammer :slight_smile:

And the day ends with a 625K hammer Into Mischief , a 100K hammer Quality Road, a 95K hammer Violence and a 14K hammer Blame. :lol:

Quality Road and Violence both RNA.

@LaurieB explained to me here (years ago) that in many cases the reserve put on the horse by the seller is known to the potential buyers. I think we were discussing the very high priced horses though. Iā€™m not sure if this is true for most of them. I donā€™t know if the private sales of RNA horses are usually close to the reserve or more than a bit less. It would be interesting to know but I doubt there is any way of knowing unless you are a frequent participant in the sales.

It is clear that buyers will keep bidding well past the reserve, known or not, when they really want the horse. Itā€™s fun to see someoneā€™s home bred make them and their farm financially secure for life. Breeding horses, of any kind really, is more of a labor of love than a money making endeavor, especially where smaller non-commercial breeders are concerned.

1 Like

Iā€™ve combed through Blood Horse, TDN, and Paulick but havenā€™t found anything explaining why Songbirdā€™s Arrogate filly was withdrawn. If it was vet related we may not get that information, but I canā€™t help but wonder if I missed something.

Is she owned by Whisper Hill? Mandy Pope sometimes just changes her mind about selling. especially the fillies. I think she was out early on.:yes:

I have enjoyed watching bits and pieces of the Keenland sale. Some truly beautiful horses out there! I was curious to see a few that went for really small pricesā€“$3,000 or $5,000. What happens to those sales? Is there a reserve to meet? I was just surprised that prices at the sales would be as low as that.

There is always a minimum price set by the auction that must be met whether it is 1K or 10K. If the horse does not meet that minimum bid it is considered ā€œno bidā€ and returns to the seller.

The ā€œhammerā€ price, is the price said by the auctioneer when he brings the hammer down after the bidding stops and says ā€œsoldā€. There is also a reserve price put on the horse by the seller. below which they will not sell the horse. The reserve amount necessary to buy the horse is not available to those of us watching online.

The auction houses in the U.S. donā€™t say if the horse has met its reserve or not when it leaves the ring. You can check back to the auction website to see if the horse was actually sold for the ā€œhammerā€ price or if it did not attain the reserve that the seller required (RNA = Reserve Not Attained.)

It is interesting that some lovely looking horses are sold for much less than those of us watching online would expect, but then again there are many things that we canā€™t see online. The temperament, the movement at the time of the sale,we canā€™t assess online, and we have no access to their veterinary examinations as do the people who actually attend the sales. Iā€™ve not often seen a real stunner go for nothing but I have seen ones that looked very good to me physically and pedigree-wise go for much less than I would have expected.:yes: The ones in the higher books that actually sell for 5K to me,tend to be weedy or otherwise awkward in appearance.

The mysteries of horsetradingā€¦ There are however many instances of relatively inexpensive horses sold at Keeneland or Fasig Tipton becoming very successful racehorses. John Henry (very cheap) Zenyatta (relatively cheap) etcā€¦etcā€¦ Goes to show you never can tell. :smiley:

The bright pink hair has returned!

Honor Code colt hammer 6K https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbC0XgmsjG0

:eek:

I wouldnā€™t kick him out of my dressage or eventing barn for sure at that price!

1 Like

He may be RNA. Weā€™ll see. Nope, he sold for 6K.

1 Like

Tiznow filly 3K hammer https://vimeo.com/457094337

Honor Code ridgling 30K hammer https://vimeo.com/457111218

The bids are really dropping outside of the very top books. There are some very nice well bred yearlings bringing bids of 5 figures and weā€™re still in Book 3. :no:

It seems like a lot of horses being withdrawn? Is this usual?

Yes, itā€™s not unusual.:slight_smile:

Honor Code filly 10K hammer. Sold

thats a big boy!

Realizing lots of variables exist, I am wondering if there is a very rough break even price for these yearlings at the sale?