Unlimited access >

Series I sigafoo shoe experienced farrier in NOVA needed

Sorry in advance for asking for farrier options, I’m sure this has been posted oodles of times in the past, however this request is somewhat unique.

I have young OTTB, thin soles, does not grow hoof, weak hoof wall. He goes well in the Series I sigafoos, he is NQR in traditional glue ons b/c the glue is hard on his sensitive thin sole, so the Series I seem like my best option. I need them to stay on for 8 weeks, to justify the cost. I’ve gotten several opinions saying they should stay on that long, esp if the horse isn’t growing hoof and doesn’t need a trim. My current farrier says they will not stay on that long…(maybe a money ploy), but anyway, I need more optimism from my farrier to help me with this situation.

Need names of farriers that have experience with this shoe in NOVA (Loudoun County, Faquier County). Or someone who will travel to that area.

I have learned of a farrier (highly recommended) in MD, but it would be a 2 hour drive each way. I might do this, if there are no other options, but wanted to reach out to all the great people of COTH first!

I already called www.soundhorse.com to get names of farriers in my area. The closest farrier they could find was 60 miles away. I also called my local farrier supply store, and they gave me 4 names, but those people either didnt’ return the call or didn’t know what Series I shoes were.

Thank you so much in advance!

I may be agreement with your farrier insofar as I do not think it is prudent to leave shoes on for eight weeks. The hoof will grow way too long for comfort and soundness in that time, assuming you can keep shoes on for that long. I’m not familiar with your particular shoe but regardless of what shoe, that just seems too long to go between shoeing and/or trimming.

Of course, I’m in no way an expert.

His name is Rob Sigafoos, so even ONE shoe is a sigafoos, not a sigafoo, (Years ago, before he got famous, he was my farrier)

Since it is often used in therapeutic situations, I would check with the staff at Morven Park Vet Center, and see if they can recommend someone.

They should also be able to give you a second opinion about going 8 weeks.

Thanks for your response. This horse does not grow hoof and the farrier basically does not trim him between cycles. I have gotten feedback from some farriers and clients using this shoes and also read some posts (on the forum) that have had good luck with them staying on, so I at least want to give it a try.

I spent quite a bit of time in the podiatry dept with Rob and Laura putting these shoes on horses and it is quite common to leave them on much longer than conventional shoes, just fyi.

Thank you so much for you replies. Sorry I misspelled Robs last name, I’m just in awe, it’s amazing how many people have had great success with these shoes. Mr Sigafoos!

I just had a pair of these put on my horse this week - Matt at Forging Ahead put them on. Don’t have a direct number appointment was set up thru my trainers. Here’s a link to their website.

http://www.forgingahead.us/Forging%20Ahead%20Home.html

Who was reccommended to you in MD? It’s that time of year when fly stomping is killing my guy’s feet. There is not much left to nail onto. He may need a cycle with glue ons to grow some hoof.

Another vote for Forging Ahead. They staff the farrier shop at Morven Park a couple of days per week and are available at the shop in Philomont the rest of the week. All of their farriers are excellent. Ask Amy (the scheduler) who is best for your situation. Andy is the favorite of my big guys with their huge feet, but all of the farriers in the practice are very skilled.