Service Dogs?

Just wondering if anyone has or has experience with any of the service dog organizations in the Northeast. I looking to apply some time in the next month or so and am considering a few programs. NEADS is at the top of the list. I have some input from Kristin at Canines For Kids to help guide me, but wondered if anyone has first hand suggestions. I’m also going back and forth between traditional service dog work (pick up, retrieval, light switches, etc) and a dog that could also be more of a mobility dog. A mobility dog would be more of an issue for me at 5’10" and on the heavier side. I’m not looking for a true mobility dog, but one that would be a walking handrail for me when I want to go out and about. My daughter won’t be in a stroller forever. :slight_smile: Ideally, I would love a dog somewhere between the two but know that is a special request and could take longer to train. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

Service dog user

Good afternoon,

I don’t have any input about specific organizations but I have a service dog for mobility and medical alert purposes.

I have problems with my balance and knowing where to put my feet etc. If I touch a wall lightly I do just fine so it is a perception and neuro issue more than a needing something to lean on issue.

You might see if having someone hold a “leash” with some tension in it slightly in front of you on your side (where a dog woudl walk) woudl help with your walking. I don’t use my guy to balance at all by carrying my weight or bracing on him but he keeps a “snug” handle between the two of us when I am tipsy and that is a huge help in staying balanced and upright.

Take a look at Carolina Canines for Service. Located in southeast NC. A little out of your stated region, but worth the look. I have volunteered with this group throughout the years (some years, able to do more, while other year not so much). I know they hold themselves to a very high standard and it pays off. They use both breeder donated pups and pound pups/dogs for the programs. And because of this they tend to have some taller dogs. Good luck!

Big Paint Horse, I will try this. I have procepriation issues too. I don’t know where my feet are and need to look. Right now I get by using the stroller, shopping cart, or hand rails. I also tend to hang on to the walls. My daughter won’t be in her stroller much longer though and my reflexes and neuro issues keep declining. I will have someone try the leash trick for me to see if it does the trick. I was thinking

[QUOTE=BigPaintHorse;5837522]
Good afternoon,

I don’t have any input about specific organizations but I have a service dog for mobility and medical alert purposes.

I have problems with my balance and knowing where to put my feet etc. If I touch a wall lightly I do just fine so it is a perception and neuro issue more than a needing something to lean on issue at this point. Although, if I countine to decline… who knows.

You might see if having someone hold a “leash” with some tension in it slightly in front of you on your side (where a dog woudl walk) woudl help with your walking. I don’t use my guy to balance at all by carrying my weight or bracing on him but he keeps a “snug” handle between the two of us when I am tipsy and that is a huge help in staying balanced and upright.[/QUOTE]

Thats the word I wanted!

[ I have procepriation issues too. I don’t know where my feet are and need to look.

That is the word I was looking for but another of the issues of the psuedo tumor is that i lose my words. I know in my head what I want but my mouth or fingers in this case can’t make it come out right :slight_smile:

Lots of the same issues BigPaint. At that moment though I just happened to find that word. Other times I can’t find the simplest ones. I’m sure you know how it goes. I also would love the anchoring and grounding effect a SD would have on me. I have plenty of issues myself but I would like to preserve what I have now.

[QUOTE=BigPaintHorse;5837801]
[ I have procepriation issues too. I don’t know where my feet are and need to look.

That is the word I was looking for but another of the issues of the psuedo tumor is that i lose my words. I know in my head what I want but my mouth or fingers in this case can’t make it come out right :)[/QUOTE]

I’m in the wrong part of the US from you. but I am on my 3rd service dog (just got the latest one in June) and try a small program they are more able to meet your specific needs… There are many retrieval/mobility dogs out there if the breed is a retriever they will get you things:-)

I’ve been in a chair 20 years and have horses.

Diane Kastama

Thanks everyone. I did put in an application with a few programs after talking to the director or one. I am waiting to be contacted by them and will see who puts me on their lists, what the wait time will be, and will then notify other programs when I have been matched with a dog. Fingers crossed it is sooner rather than later. I realized that my former lab/shepherd mix basically did a LOT of service dog duties without me realizing it. The only thing I didn’t do with her was take her in to most public buildings. Aside from that she was pretty much with me everywhere for 11 years. I even took her to work since I was self employed and taught Animal Science after that. No wonder I feel lost without a service dog now that my health is declining.