Severe osteoarthritis in feet. Ouch.

Looking for the collective wisdom of cothers to help. Stirrups? Pain killers? Vodka?

I was just diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis, right where my feet sit in the stirrups. Ouch.

This explains why my feet hurt so much that there were some days that I could barely walk out to the paddock.

I’m looking for some recommendations for stirrups which might help alleviate the pain. I currently ride in a regular fillis iron (ala GM). I have used jointed irons in the past but found they made the pain worse.

Would a wider tread be helpful? Something like a wildkart jin? Perhaps a cheaper alternative? Different pads in the stirrups?

Any recommendations for painkillers? Topical ointments that people have found helpful? Strategies?

Suggestions for riding boots that could accommodate orthotics?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe the stirrup pads that are angled? I know they are to help with heels down but I’m thinking they may allow heels down without so much pressure on the foot. I bet you’re going to get a lot of advice about being able to ride without pushing hard on your stirrups.
There are orthodics made just for the ball of the foot. They are geared towards high heel users but may help you
I take diclofenac for my hip bursitis

Thanks JBD! I’ve never tried the angled pads. Will pick some up on the way out to the barn tonight.

I’ve got those ball orthotics custom made and they didn’t help at all. I’ve also got ones made for a high arch, which are great, except they don’t fit in any riding boots.

Thanks for the recommendation about the diclofenac. My friend is also on that. I’ll have to ask my doctor about that.

Thanks again.

I agree with trying diclofenac. Also consider Back on Track socks to help reduce the inflammation.

I would also guess wide tread stirrups may help spread out the pressure points.

Got two pairs of back on track socks and use a back on track leg wrap under under my feet when I sleep.

Thank you so much for the suggestion about the angled stirrups JBD. Rode in them tonight and what a huge difference. I could actually walk when I got off. I never would have thought of trying them. My feet thank you.

[QUOTE=Come Shine;7651624]
Thank you so much for the suggestion about the angled stirrups JBD. Rode in them tonight and what a huge difference. I could actually walk when I got off. I never would have thought of trying them. My feet thank you.[/QUOTE]

I’m happy that worked for you!

In addition to angled stirrup pads, there is also the option of
using Karnikoff stirrups. Just be sure to put the correct one on
each side as they are not interchangable.