Unlimited access >

Sewing machine for horse blankets?

I have a horse that keeps grabbing other horse’s blankets and tearing them. After emptying out my bank account by paying to get the blankets fixed each time, I’ve decided that I really should buy my own sewing machine…even though I haven’t touched a sewing machine since high school! Lol! Does anyone recommend a sewing machine that will be able to sew light sheets up to heavy blankets?

I use a Babylock for repairs on horse blankets. So far it has tackled everything I have put it through.

Maybe look around for a used industrial type machine. I used a regular Singer for a while but it was difficult to get thick blankets under the foot and try to squeeze a lot of blanket thru and around the machine. The poor sewing machine eventually broke. I have been considering looking on eBay for some kind of industrial sewing machine.

[QUOTE=My Two Cents;8009921]
I use a Babylock for repairs on horse blankets. So far it has tackled everything I have put it through.[/QUOTE]

I bought a used Babylock from the local high school when they were auctioning off surplus. If they can stand up to a bunch of high schoolers they are tough. I mostly use it to repair horse blankets. I tend to do the smaller repairs and send the big stuff out. That is more due to my lack of talent than the limits of the Babylock. I did struggle a little with replacing the back leg straps on one blanket but got it done. It was waterproof fabric and 2 layers of binding so it was thick and the material was tough.

here is a military surplus heavy duty sewing machine that is south of you about 2 hours

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=9068209&convertTo=USD

impressive looking machine!

If you can find one, there is nothing like the older (well-maintained) industrial machines. I have been using a 40+ year-old Bernina for the past 30 years.

You need an industrial or commercial machine. Home machines are not built to do beast work. Look for one that the pressure foot lifts up at least3/8" so you can fit bulky blankets under it. Suggest a compound (2 pc alternating ) WALKING FOOT machine with reverse. This type of setup allows you to sew over thick or thin material and do webbing without thread problems. And a reverse…will make your life so much easier. The machine should use thread of 92 weight and take at least a size 19 needle.
Juki, Consew, and Adler as well as Singer are brands to start looking at.
I have a Juki LU563 as my workhorse, would not sell it for love nor money. I fix blankets, halters, and can sew up to 3 layers of 8 oz leather easily.

ebay is a good place to do machine research as far a models and prices. But…go buy one in person and bring your material with you to try it.
Never! Buy a heavy used sewing machine sight unseen unless its still in the original box unless your prepared to fix it.
ask me why…

1 Like

I like all the great suggestions. I’d only add that I find that MOST of the minor/annoying repairs CAN be done with a regular machine. It’s important to use the largest stitch possible. Use the largest needle you can find. I use leather needles and sometimes just denim needles. Use the strongest thread too. I prefer the clear nylon…it’s like fishing line…you can use actual fishing line also. STRONG stuff! Thread for canvas too. And it’s not necessary to do full thickness repairs EX: just do a tuck or grab the outer layer/inner layer like a dart and sew separately. I never worry about what it llooks like too. Just want to “git R done”!! If you remove the zipper foot; you can do waffled areas but with multiple layers of fabric you’ll need the industrial machine. I’m satisfied with all I can do with my regular machine tho’. Just have to be creative! And send major repairs out then! Just sayin’!! Good luck!

1 Like