Unlimited access >

Shadwell Gives Six Pensioned Stallions To Old Friends

1 Like

Just read that. What a testament to the care the horses received all their lives to see 5 stallions in their third decade moving into their next retirement home. It was also heartwarming to see how many of them were homebreds.

2 Likes

I’d have found it more heartwarming if these stallions had been left where they’ve lived for most of their lives since leaving the track. With the exception of Albertus Maximus, they’re very, very old, between 29-31. Old stallions need their routines to remain consistent.
Awesome Again died six weeks after being moved to Old Friends. This isn’t a knock on that facility at all, but on the people who dump their aged stock on someone else to care for. Hamdan’s estate could well have afforded to look after these old gentlemen and kept them in the home they’ve known for decades.

31 Likes

Amen @Mara

2 Likes

Was thinking the same thing @mara. Gut reaction was “wow, someone pawning off 6 aged stallions, real cute.” then I realized this was supposed to be a “feel good story”.

4 Likes

I was surprised as well when I saw their ages.

1 Like

The Old Friends spokesman seems thrilled. I don’t know that these stallions are well known to the general racing fans that visit Old Friends.I’ve only heard of Albertus Maximus.

It’s always a sad time when an enthusiastic breeder dies. The family is left to deal with the much loved homebred horses that were the deceased person’s pride and joy. The fact that he kept these ancient homebred stallions shows his dedication to his horses.

I suppose his heirs believe they are doing the right thing. I hope they have included a sizable monetary gift to Old Friends along with their “donation” of the stallions.

9 Likes

It sounds like they are downsizing and DID in fact donate substantially (the article says OF is grateful for their financial support).

To me, it makes perfect sense to send them. A lot of people would have just euthanized them and been done with it. instead they are taken care of by people who are experts are retirement care (which, as a person who does retirement board, is a very specific skill set). The heirs are trying to do right by the horses, that’s enough for me. We could second guess it until the cows come home, but we don’t really know all that went into making this decision.

12 Likes

Swain was a magnificent racehorse in the mid 90s, not quite a superstar, but definitely a solid Gr.1 performer with 2 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth wins at 5 and 6. The rest I remember, but not as well as I do Swain. I think he dumped his rider in the parade for the ‘98 Breeders’ Cup Classic, which is still considered among the best fields ever for that race, if not THE best.

Like you, I hope there was a huge monetary gift accompanying these stallions. IIRC, Old Friends was originally intended for horses who “fell through the cracks”, and popular geldings who retired with injuries that precluded another career. It wasn’t meant as a facility for the ultra-wealthy to ease their consciences while getting a burden off their payroll. I know the big name horses draw visitors (and thus donors). Michael Blowen has done an incredible job for these horses; I don’t think I have ever seen him turn anyone away.

6 Likes

I’m sure his family knows how much his homebreds meant to him and felt that this was what he would have wanted. He may have even specified this in his will, who knows?

You’re right, we shouldn’t second guess them.

They’re selling the properties where they stand. Should they have required the buyers to keep the stallions?

4 Likes

I get that. And it’s probably the “best” option because who else is going to manage six aged stallions. They could live six weeks or they could live six years.

This is not a knock on Old Friends, but they are a not for profit. Yes, this is what they do, but these horses were likely getting a much higher caliber of care than a nonprofit can provide.That’s where my frustration lies.

My gut reaction was irritation that another prominent farm was “dumping” their aged stallions at OF, but now that I’ve calmed down, there probably isn’t an alternative in this case. Euthanasia, but that would upset a lot of people. Even late 20s, early 30s these boys may have a lot of life left.

5 Likes

Shadwell has three farms in and around Lexington. Two have been offered for sale. At least for now, they are retaining their stallion complex, Nashwan Stud–where the article says these guys have been living. So the property is not being sold out from under them. Other current Nashwan residents include stallions Mohaymen, Tamarkuz and Quurban.

5 Likes

Hmmm. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

OF has taken in plenty without hefty checks stapled to their halters. Large percentage of that population is unrecognizable names. What do you want them to do when a wealthy person or estate offers them horses with a generous donation? And, yeah, its like Hotel California, they check in and never check out, likely arrive with preexisting conditions.

I’m just pleased that segment of the racing and breeding community has publicly participated in and financially supported an aftercare program.

3 Likes

Just a quick FYI, the entire TB racing and breeding community publicly participates in and financially supports an aftercare program.

Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance - Thoroughbred Aftercare AllianceThoroughbred Aftercare Alliance

3 Likes

I find it disappointing that they aren’t being allowed to live out their lives on the farm that they knew.

If I remember correctly, wasn’t Count Fleet on a farm that was sold (I think that he was around 30) and he was taken care of by the new farm owner until he passed?

This isn’t that. They didn’t sell the farm where these guys were living. Money isn’t everything. In spite of the fat check, I am sorry for them.

1 Like

While moving such aged stallions is not ideal, I’m sensing this relocation was made in the horses’ best interest. Caring for senior equines is a lot of work, and most farms are struggling to keep employees. I think Shadwell should be commended for caring for these aged stallions so well, having all of them make it to upper 20s/30s is admirable.

I worry that the stress of a new home at Old Friends won’t be easy on the old guys, but the volunteers there will give them the best attention to their needs.

4 Likes

I know nothing about the situation or the agreement that took place, but I think it’s a lot to give them six stallions. I don’t know
it seems over Shadwell’s quota and like maybe the spots should be spread around to different farms. It probably doesn’t work this way but six just seems like a lot to come from one farm at one time.

Relocating an ancient stallion when you have PLENTY of funds and facilities to keep them in their routine is not heartwarming in the least. Ick.

2 Likes