Unlimited access >

Share Your A Show Experience!

I am very excited as this coming show year my trainer is going to be taking our show team to A shows! She hasn’t been to a big show in over 20 years so I decided to ask the knowledgeable show circuit junkies on here for advice and experiences! Thanks!

Congratulations! What an exciting thing, to be stepping up to the A circuit. :slight_smile:

If you haven’t already done it, the best place to get a feel for what will be required of you is in the USEF rule book. Find it online here: https://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/2016.aspx

Your trainer may not be aware that there are new vaccination requirement rules are now in place. Information about this should be in the show prizelist, and forms to be filled out and signed by your vet can be found on the USEF site.

Be sure to thoroughly read the section of the rule book that pertains to the division(s) you’ll be showing in.

You can also get a lot of helpful info by thoroughly reading the show prizelist booklet.

If you still have questions after that, we’ll be happy to help!

Will you be showing in the hunters, jumpers, or equitation?

Go watch a rated show first if you can, preferably at the same venue. If you hang around the rings and pay attention, you can learn a lot. Make friends with the gate person when they’re not knee deep in rounds – maybe while the crew is changing the course or there’s a drag. If you bring them a bottle of water or a snack, they’ll be much more likely to be nice. :slight_smile: It would also be a good idea to ask them to show you how to read the board and figure out rotations, etc. But once again, wait until they’re not surrounded with people and horses trying to get their rounds done.

Will you be showing in the hunters, jumpers, or equitation?

Actually I will be showing all three! Doing jumpers on my little OTTB mare and hunters and equitation on my trainers Warmblood and she will be helping pay for his classes. I showed my dad what and A show should cost and I think he almost fainted :lol: Love how much he supports me and my horses!

[QUOTE=541hunter;8505147]
Go watch a rated show first if you can, preferably at the same venue. If you hang around the rings and pay attention, you can learn a lot. Make friends with the gate person when they’re not knee deep in rounds – maybe while the crew is changing the course or there’s a drag. If you bring them a bottle of water or a snack, they’ll be much more likely to be nice. :slight_smile: It would also be a good idea to ask them to show you how to read the board and figure out rotations, etc. But once again, wait until they’re not surrounded with people and horses trying to get their rounds done.[/QUOTE]

this is excellent advice. People at the gate have a challenging and often thankless job. Treat them with great respect and you’ll have a good experience. Showing at the A level can be a super learning experience, particularly if you set aside time to watch the more respected trainers in the schooling ring. That can be very educational and it’s free! :yes::smiley:

[QUOTE=greysfordays;8505173]
this is excellent advice. People at the gate have a challenging and often thankless job. Treat them with great respect and you’ll have a good experience. Showing at the A level can be a super learning experience, particularly if you set aside time to watch the more respected trainers in the schooling ring. That can be very educational and it’s free! :yes::D[/QUOTE]

Befriending the gate people is a really good idea - but also, be nice to the vendors, and often they remember you. Once my pony dumped me in the schooling ring and the snow cone guy brought me a watermelon snow cone, free.

Actually, just be nice to everybody, so many can help in so many ways, and good friends at shows make the whole experience easier. One tip though, keep a list of your classes in your pocket, with your trainer, in the tack box, and on stall doors. They disappear soo fast, and you’re screwed without them.

I love the A shows, they have so many nice people and nice horses, have a ton of fun!!

Another resource you might find helpful is the Show Ring Ready blog. I believe the author is a COTHer. It’s written from the perspective of a Canadian, but usually there’s a caveat explaining USEF rules as well. I refer to it often to double check rules or to get good grooming tips!

You will have a blast, few tips that I have learned on the way. Bring food, show food although often good is REALLY expensive. I have a yeti cooler and keep sandwiches and stuff just make sure if you have one of the coolers keep it locked up or chained. They seem to grow legs ;). Keep your barn and tack room very neat and tidy, it is your face at the show. If someone walks buy and see tack and brooms or dirty trunks strewn about they will get preconceptions even if that is not who you are. I one up going and watching an A show and watching look at some of the fancy barns isles if they don’t mind and try and get an idea. Oh and don’t be that guy blocking the whole street with the trailer, off load your horses and then carry the rest if the trailer parking is close by.

You might enjoy this article. Good luck and have fun!

http://theplaidhorse.com/fake-it-til-you-make-it-my-rookie-week-at-hits-thermal/

Tell everyone thank you. The people in the office, the person at the gate, any help you have (paid or unpaid - this means braiders, grooms, night watchmen, whomever). Your trainer. I know you pay all these people, but a genuine thank you makes everybody’s day better.

AND DON’T FORGET TO THANK YOUR PARENTS. Thank them early and often. Big hugs and kisses are also nice. Be forever grateful to them.

And be a good sport. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

Dito on the go check out a show near you, but also bring your trainer if possible(may not be for various reasons)! 20 years is a long time to be away for the A circuit madness and you will be looking to your trainer for answers and know how.

At my first A show-I went of course twice I think (was my favorite “panick habit” at that time lol!), totally got my scheduling of classes backwards, got a few ribbons, but nothing to write home about, but mostly I really just was happy to be there and had a great time! My trainer back then was a been there done that kinda lady, so she knew how to handle my “short comings” in stride :yes: and I am thankful to have had that experiece with her, which is why I encourage you and your trainer to go check things out if she has been out of the game for a bit!

Also, really look at it as a learning experience. I do not know what your level of riding or quality of horses are, but just be prepared to go up against an upper tier of both horse and and rider quality that you may not have encountred at competition before. Watch as much as possible while you are there too, especially the classes that you hope to move up into. Watch their rides, the style, even peak into the warmup to see their preparation. Mostly- have fun and don’t put too much pressure on yourself :slight_smile:

One more thing: Be sure to see what the add/scratch rules are in the horse show office when you get there! They are usually not the same as local shows depending on where you are at.

One thing I like to try to do is time my office needs for typical non-peek times. No ones standing in line and office staff don’t like having the pressure of people in lines (that often get upset). Usually when I grab my number, I will ask them what their usual busy times are so I can avoid those.

I also try to come to the office prepared so I can get in, get out. I will pick up all my barnmate’s numbers and drop off checks, etc so they all don’t need to wait in line too.

Your trainer may already do this for you, but just in case…:smiley:

Check to see if they have the TAKE 2 TB divisions in the Jumpers, usually a $4- 500.00 purse in those classes .

[QUOTE=Lexie55;8506030]
Tell everyone thank you. The people in the office, the person at the gate, any help you have (paid or unpaid - this means braiders, grooms, night watchmen, whomever). Your trainer. I know you pay all these people, but a genuine thank you makes everybody’s day better.

AND DON’T FORGET TO THANK YOUR PARENTS. Thank them early and often. Big hugs and kisses are also nice. Be forever grateful to them.[/QUOTE]

Amen to thanking the parents! And others as well. Shows can be stressful and it’s easy to forget.

If you are brand spanking new as well, I recommend watching some of your future divisions on You Tube. You can usually put in the name of the show and show grounds and your division, like “Lamplight Junior Hunters” or whatever and a bunch of videos will show up on You Tube. you can get a look at the ring and the competition. Just don’t be intimidated, people post their best rounds and leave the uglies out!