Unlimited access >

Shedding Hacks

Well, it’s that time of year and my herd of 4 is blowing out their coats like crazy!! My hacks are:

1. I leave the leaf blower out and ready for use on my concrete aisleway. It’s tucked away at the end of the aisle, and I blow it out at the end of my day so the birdies can use the hair to make nests.

2. The shop vac is also left out (tucked away near the leaf blower) so that I can vacuum my saddle pads after my rides. Easier than brushing them off and makes washing them less messy in the washing machine.

What’s your favorite spring shedding hack?

2 Likes

Clippers

12 Likes

Last time my farrier was here, he showed me how he uses the edge of a hoof rasp. But nothing is as satisfying to me as using a standard shedding blade straight as in the top picture rather than in a loop.
sheddingblade

7 Likes

I’ve been using a Posture Prep curry on my horse (long thread here about it), and it does a good job of taking off hair as well. If I keep up with the PP work, shedding should be no problem. I’ve been using the human PP, which is more flexible, on her legs and it takes off a lot of hair. Need to drag out the horse vac too though, maybe today.

3 Likes

Kudos to the COTHer who recommended this:

The.Best!

1 Like

This. Since I started clipping the whole winter coat off at the first sign of shedding my life has changed!

2 Likes

My woolly mammoth pony gets an hour long session with a Shed Flower and a DIY Sleek EZ (hacksaw blade glued inside two wooden paint stirring sticks). Also one of those stinky black blocks for his face. When the hair really starts coming off I wear a surgical mask; we’ve all got those lying around.

1 Like

I like these:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/bettys-best-striphair-gentle-groomer-original-for-horses-18856?sku=2109819816&g_acctid=312-013-2860&g_adgroupid=&g_adid=&g_adtype=none&g_campaign=NB_Shopping_PMAX_Horse-Products&g_campaignid=18347249420&g_keyword=&g_keywordid=&g_network=x&utm_campaign=&utm_content=NB_Shopping_PMAX_Horse-Products&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw17qvBhBrEiwA1rU9w-Z7xUabyYGxX2j6AeLE5Mlj8oZDKiYcCkt3grDtWL57kVpMjIr-ERoC78YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Someone gave me one of those Striphair gentle groomers. I wish I still had it for saddle pads, but with my hand arthritis, I found it almost impossible to hold pain free for more than a minute or two at a time.

I still love my Hands On gloves for shedding (and currying, and bathing, and…)

2 Likes

Keep blankets on. I used to strip the blankets off as soon as I could, but discovered that leaving them on longer helped the horses shed faster.

1 Like

I use those norwex brushes for saddle pads. I used to use those black grooming stones (still great for shedding out legs, getting into the tendon grooves and stuff), but I learned it destroyed the pad stitching so I switched.

Like Outerbanks77, I have been using the Posture Prep…and one of those flexible vinyl buckets. PP in one hand, bucket in the other. The PP holds onto the hair and then I just tap it into the bucket and the wad falls off. Much easier cleanup as 95% of the hair is in the bucket. My girl has been shedding sheets of hair the last couple weeks :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

I curry first with a regular currycomb, then use a SleekEZ on his body and one of those black pumice type blocks for smaller/more delicate areas like forehead and legs.