Unlimited access >

Sheep as complementary grazers?

It seems that goats are really the ideal complementary grazer for horses, but I worry about goats getting out and into things. Not to mention the rumors of them eating horses’ tails. Would a couple of sheep be reasonable complementary grazers?

I’m looking for someone to eat blackberry bushes, maybe ferns, and any random weeds the horses don’t want. I will be practicing pasture rotation and resting, and I will have a dry lot. The complementary grazers would be there to keep weeds from overgrowing, and to maybe reduce me having to mow a bit,

1 Like

I’ve known a couple people to do this. So long as your horses aren’t afraid of the sheep. :rofl:

I don’t know the details about rotation.

And then there is the issue of sheering them every year…

2 Likes

Well if they are scared of them, it will just serve to desensitize them.

Do sheep HAVE to be shorn? Won’t their fleece shed out naturally? I hadn’t thought about shearing them…

Sheep need really good fences too. They can get under a low spot in a fence (and it will likely be all of them, because sheep) Sheep also need sheering, which goats don’t.

2 Likes

But at least they can’t climb or jump the fence? Right?

I have no idea, I’m just asking. I wanted goats for the longest time, so I did a lot of research on them but now that we’re actually looking to make the move, I’m really thinking now that I don’t want to have to try to keep them inside fences.

2 Likes

None of the ones my father ever did, though one of my horse’s didn’t have much use for them. He was often seen spitting out wool after putting the run one.

I still prefer goats, even though the one we had was a bit of an ass.

2 Likes

@jvanrens would you mind explaining why you prefer goats? I would really like to have as much information as possible before making a decision.

I just thought that there should be a Storeys guide to keeping sheep, and I see that there is, so I’ll order it.

2 Likes

Plus they climb EVERYTHING and eat everything else.

@AcuAnimal you mean the goats, right? That’s what I’m worried about – that they will get into everything.

1 Like

Sheep are kind of high maintenance IME…

I wouldn’t get them as an “easier” alternative to goats.

8 Likes

@AcuAnimal you mean the goats, right? That’s what I’m worried about – that they will get into everything.
@PonyRiderMom yes. Sorry. I’m new here and not quite good at working the technology yet.

3 Likes

Just a personal preference. My father had sheep for about 5 or so years. I just never felt any sort of fondness for them. I wasn’t that I had to help feed them or take care of them, since I did that with the beef cattle and never felt the same lack of fondness.

Our goat was a pet, he lived at the racetrack with us. He was an ass, but I enjoyed his company, so I might not be the best judge. If we had our own farm, I’d have a couple of goats.

I’d suggest spending time with both before making up your mind.

3 Likes

Katahdin sheep, developed in Maine were crossbred with hair sheep so they shed on their own. Apparently there are lots of hair sheep to choose from. Some have gnarly horns, though.

If I ever get back to Maine, I’d like to rotate in some cashmere goats for spinning and knitting.

Soay sheep are a cute miniature variety from Scotland.

n.b. according to some comments, though the breeds are right, the pics may be incorrect in the following link.

10 Likes

Really? My grand daughters have eight goats here. There is not one of them that I would allow to be in the same pasture as any of the horses. The goats can be really destructive, They are constantly head banging against gates. walls. fences which has me looking for a large grill to put them on.

Then wife goat a Great Pyrenees “to protect” the goats from the coyotes who were always at the fence . The Great Pyrenees is sort of nice dog if you can block out their CONSTANT BARKING at anything that moves or they think might move or should move, do dog’s name id now just Barky

How about just getting a mirror for the horses as a companion ?

5 Likes

Being a complementary grazer doesn’t mean they are in the same pasture, just that they eat what the horses don’t eat, though it does sound like the OP might be thinking of keeping them in the same area.

2 Likes

Well, the mirror isn’t going to eat the blackberry bushes and other weeds.

8 Likes

I’m actually not sure yet. I was kind of imagining having the goats / sheep follow the horses through the pasture rotation. But, we do have predators nearby, so they might need the protection of the horses. My Pony is very protective. He used to protect the mini donkeys that were in the pasture with him.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that the Goats For Hire™️ business model may have found your neighborhood. We have at least two vying for our dollars here in the mountains of northern Ventura County, California.

They set up careful fencing for their more or less trained, or at least conditioned-to-fencing, goats, care for them and leave. Though I have no idea what they charge, it has to be less than figuring out fencing and care for a bunch of animals you’re not sure whether you really want in the first place.

4 Likes

nearby city did the Goats for Hire thing, they escaped the park they were supposed to clean up

5 Likes

That’s why I said might. :wink: Maybe a llama might be an idea for a companion for the critters you decide on for protection purposes. :wink: COTH is full of enablers of all sorts.

4 Likes