Unlimited access >

Sheriffs looking for owners of a loose horse struck by a vehicle

In Tracy, CA (SF Bay Area). A second horse was not injured and has not been claimed.

Oh god, that’s right where I live. How horrible :cry:

1 Like

Ah yes, they are “looking for the owner”.

They’ll reunite the owner with the surviving horse and then BAM the car insurance will come after them or the barn owner for damages to the vehicle and any neck pain driver or passengers have developed as a result.

3 Likes

Do you think they shouldn’t do that?

3 Likes

Yeah all that, and negligence too if the fence was in poor repair.

All of which the driver of the car, who doesn’t own these animals, whose car is likely totaled, is 100% entitled to.

6 Likes

Any updates? I imagine the horse owner is laying low. If they don’t claim, they lose their horse to animal control, I imagine. I can’t believe that someone won’t squeal, though. The neighbors would know about where the horses came from.

The owners could be innocent, however. What if a car ran into a pasture fence and the horses got loose on the road before the owner knew about it? What if someone let the horses out, just to be jerks?

3 Likes

Poor horse :frowning: hope he’s doing well now.

Had a drunk crash through my pasture fence one night then crash through it again to get out of the field. Totally destroyed two sections of brand new fencing. Made enough racket that I ran out just in time to see he was driving a white van with a nice company logo on it.

Thankfully my horses were huddled up near the gate and didn’t take off down the road. Cops caught up with the asshole a short time later. He lost his job over it, but he shouldn’t have been driving drunk, especially in a company vehicle.

6 Likes