Unlimited access >

Shivers in the front Legs

[QUOTE=findeight;7836308]

Perhaps there are several conditions lumped together as “shivers”? What type of diagnostics confirm it?[/QUOTE]

Here is some info that might help: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/shivers/home.html#top

ETA: The research papers by Stephanie Valberg, et al were published in the Equine Veterinary Journal in 2014 - I have PDF copies that have links to videos. They were sent to me due to my horse’s participation in the study.

I put down a fabulous QdR Oldenburg earlier this year due to shivers that progressed rapidly.

Keep in mind, the only way to definitively “diagnose” shivers is by looking at their brain and/or spinal cord (depending on where the lesions are) once they are euthanized. It is a neurological disease and is often progressive. In my horse’s case, New Bolton ruled out the other causes of his symptoms, by doing the following:

Neck radiographs (rule out Wobbler’s/Kissing Spines)
Spinal tap (rule out EPM and Lyme Disease)
Muscle biopsy (rule out EPSM)
Extensive bloodwork (rule out a gamut of things)
Limb radiographs (rule out pain/lameness)
Gabapentin trials

I am sure I am missing some things, he was there over two weeks and racked up an enormous bill, and still ended up progressively getting worse.

Personal Champ and the rest of us who have lost a horse to Shivers… I am so sorry. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Kimstar;7836331]
Here is some info that might help: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/shivers/home.html#top

ETA: The research papers by Stephanie Valberg, et al were published in the Equine Veterinary Journal in 2014 - I have PDF copies that have links to videos. They were sent to me due to my horse’s participation in the study.[/QUOTE]

Kimstar…,THANK YOU. Everybody should read this- it’s pretty easy, plain English, not too much jargon discussing what is known about shivers and differentiating it from other conditions with similar symptoms. Offers some feeding and supplement observations that have seemed to be helpful in alleviating the symptoms.

If OP is still lurking, she should read this for a pretty good idea of what may or may not work as well as what to expect in the future as it continues to gradually deteriorate. Have her trainer read it too to develop a management system to lessen symptoms and perhaps slow the progression of the condition.

[QUOTE=hannahrwhite;7835307]
For all of you saying that this horse is “not suitable to be leased or ridden and needs serious veterinary help” you are wrong. This horse is very happy, and he is a fantastic horse. YES shivers can affect the front legs, and this horse has been diagnosed by multiple vets with shivers ONLY in the front. We have also had multiple vets clear him for riding, as it does not inflict him with any kind of pain or trouble, and he isn’t lame from it at all(actually, he wins every hack class he steps in to). My trainer is an experienced horse women, and saved this wonderful horse from an A show barn who was just going to trash him aside after they found out he has shivers, but my trainer saw a great horse with a lot of time left. I really was more looking for suggestions, but I guess all I am going to get is judgmental answers saying my Trainer shady and I need to someone who wouldn’t even own a horse like this(just like the pervious owners did). Thanks anyways??[/QUOTE]

Good for you. :slight_smile:

My ex trainer has a phenomenal young dressage horse who also has shivers in the forelegs only. The horse has always been sound and has been seen by numerous vets. Her trainer has seen this several times.

What helped was routine chiropractic and more muscle. He still has them, but they have gotten better. She’s never had a problem with him and has moved up the dressage levels very quickly. Since he is mildly neurologic (shivers, duh) his extended trot is just fabulous…flips his toes and everything. :slight_smile:

findeight, you’re welcome! If you wish, you can PM me, give me an email address and I could send you the actual research papers with the video links. (I didn’t find them difficult to understand.) Just be patient as I am not always logged on here everyday!

I find with shivers, EPSM and other diseases that there is so much “hear say” about them and not much factual info out there. When I go looking for info on the internet, I want legitimate info, not just someone’s experiences. I sent (posthumously) my horse’s full medical history and videos to Dr. Baird at the U of Guelph (one of the researchers) so that they would have his information to add to the rest of the data. (He also had some other issues that I believe were related to the shivers but were, as far as I am aware, very atypical of the disease.) I just hope that perhaps, in some small way, it will aid in the discovery of why this condition arises and some form of treatment for it in the future. At the moment, I believe that they have only searched for genetic components, but I really hope that the studies continue.

[QUOTE=Personal Champ;7837639]

Keep in mind, the only way to definitively “diagnose” shivers is by looking at their brain and/or spinal cord (depending on where the lesions are) once they are euthanized. [/QUOTE]

I wasn’t aware that shivers could be diagnosed via necropsy. Anything that I have previously read stated that there were no physical signs, meaning nothing perceptible, in shivers horses’ neurology upon post mortem examination.

Yeah, the material you linked to clearly stated that in at least 2 postmortem exams, no lesions were present.

Much work to be done. Kind of disappointed they don’t seem to be breeding away from it until they can confirm it is or is not genetic…hear the same kinds of excuses I remember from other past conditions rumored for years to be linked to genetics. Just because they don’t all drop over dead from things like this does not excuse taking chances more will be produced…

But that’s another thread.

Thank you very very much for sharing your experience and for the advice! I will look into your suggestions

Thank you so much for sharing that link (: I am going to read it right now and use it to help start a diet and excersize routine!

I am about to go read it! Thank you all for replying and being so helpful.

Glad to hear that horse is being so successful. We have another horse with shivers in the hind, and competes in the 3’6 hunters, and is very successful despite(I’m sure it has something to do with the shivers) being a stopper at the bad distances.