Unlimited access >

Shoofly boots: My gelding poops in them!?

LOL, I mean, I knew he was a special sort. Has anyone else encountered this? Maybe he needs Smalls instead of Mediums? He’s 15.2, average build. I feel bad for him walking around in poopy socks.

2 Likes

I can’t help you, lol. But I had a much needed chuckle from your problem. Look on the bright side, instead of cleaning his stall you can just empty his socks out once a day. He’s helping you, Mom!

4 Likes

My mare will do this occasionally as well. I haven’t been able to figure out how and why it happens when it does.

It happens occasionally to mine. It falls out when I take the boot off. I don’t lose too much sleep over it. :woman_shrugging:

I do think pooping while walking tends to be the most common cause.

That makes sense, pooping while walking.

I just thought it was funny.

There are styles from other manufacturers that aren’t loose on the top like the Shoo Fly. I haven’t tried them, and I would be more worried about rubbing, but they would eliminate the pooping in boot issue. It might be just pooping on boot.

Schneiders has some interesting options.

Yup. Lots of that has to do with how they stand while pooping. But you can help by making the bottom of the boot as loose as you can without it slipping down the hoof. When you make it tight at the bottom, the shoo fly boot becomes more of a cone than a cylinder and it “leans backward” against the cannon bone to catch the poop like a big ol’ waffle cone.

If I see green legs, I try to wash them with something slightly-germ-killing mixed in when I can. I don’t need her skin down there to get quite so bacteriologically dirty.

1 Like