Unlimited access >

Short-term Hunter/Jumper training

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice/recommendations as to the possibility of finding a barn to train at short-term for a couple of weeks. I am from Europe and now an amateur showjumper, however, have always been fascinated by American riding style and the hunters.

I have a couple of spare weeks in summer and would love to come Stateside and spend some time at a stables having lessons and learning (a bit like a working student). I’d be happy to help out generally and have grooming experience although recognise it would likely be a paid training experience.

I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on reputable trainers that may offer this and take short-term riders?

TIA!

1 Like

Welcome to the BB!

Do you have any preferences for location? It’s a pretty big country.

1 Like

I would suggest looking for a program with some equitation focus. The big trainers / barns that do this often will own or have in sales horses for weekly show leases during the summer, plus morning lessons on days that aren’t heavy competition days for the horses. This may be a bit less hunter focused, but if you have good basics it would be diving into the deep end on some learning of the American riding system. While in the winter, barns will set up a home base on one of the winter circuits, there may be more traveling around in the summer meaning looking for show type leases and lessons at shows may give you more options than trying to find a home base program that time of year for a few weeks of lessons. Having an idea on what part of the country interests you would help narrow down programs to reach out to.

There’s one barn in my area that I think has some partial lease options or show lease options for adult hunter appropriate horses who spends the summer showing close to their home barn, but I don’t think this is super common.

1 Like