Unlimited access >

Should I buy this horse?

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8504989]
I had horses all through grad school. Did self care. It was worth it to me…and I was able to do it even not financial supported by my parents. It is all on your priorities. I had to work…and no social life. But I preferred the horses.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly how I feel- I will likely do a working student type thing at my future barn to minimize costs, and I’ve done that many times before- also had a horse in the past on our own land and did all the work, so that’s not a problem.

Compared to many of the posters here, I am completely unqualified to comment on horses.

I think this is a horrible time for you to buy a horse, though.

Graduate, find your first job, see where you land and what the finances are like. Then think about buying a horse.

Get him vetted…do an ultrasound…and buy your pony!

If you like him and want to take the risk, do it in the smartest way possible: wait until he actually is jumping first and see how he holds up. Take some lessons on him, get a feel for things, and then do your PPE once he’s fully rehabbed.

Opportunity is at hand, yes, but you’re not in the greatest position to take a risk right now. If you find out the hard way that he doesn’t hold up to jumping, you’re stuck with a lot more than you bargained and no horse and a lot of heartache on top of the stress of life transitions. Plus the medical bills. Horses who are unhealthy = stress in every possible way.

I don’t know. I just wouldn’t want to buy a problem unless I had a pasture to put him in if it continues to be a problem. Paying board on a horse you can’t ride sucks. I think there’s a big divide of opinions based on everyone’s respective exit plan in case the risk turns into reality. Hence, the wait-and-see approach.

I just had to put down one of our horses because he suffered from a severe suspensory injury that never healed. I myself would never recommend anyone buying a horse that has had one.

You have goals that are completely achievable with a horse like the one you are considering, but in my opinion any type of suspensory injury can now be so fragile. He might be problem free now, but he also more prone of injuring himself in the same again than any other horse would. Of all injuries, suspensory injuries are the ones that make me most nervous.

While I agree about suspensory injuries being a big red flag…I’ve also known many who recovered great and went on to compete at high levels of jumpers and eventing. It depends on the injury, why they got it and how it was rehabbed.

I do agree that you should not commit to this horse until he is jumping at the level you want to jump…then do the PPE.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8510075]
While I agree about suspensory injuries being a big red flag…I’ve also known many who recovered great and went on to compete at high levels of jumpers and eventing. It depends on the injury, why they got it and how it was rehabbed.

I do agree that you should not commit to this horse until he is jumping at the level you want to jump…then do the PPE.[/QUOTE]

This. wait until the rehab is over, the horse is jumping again so you can see both what the suspensory looks like on ultrasound after rehab is done and see how the horse rides over fences, and then see if you still want him. Rehabbed a couple and none injured again – one that injured at 5 and is still sound on it at 23. He jumped around the 4’6 jumpers for nearly a decade on it. But I spent a lot of time obsessing over his farrier work and what footing I rode him in too. NEVER deep sand!

Might take the horse to a good sporthorse clinic for the PPE/a second opinion too before you buy, because you want someone who is unbiased/hasn’t been the treating vet involved. treating vet might be “optimistic” for the previous owner, not meaning to or anything but just because it is hard to step back from a situation you’ve been involved in. an outside party is a better idea.