Should I lower my exceptions and goals of my self because my coaches low goals

Hi

My new instructor has what I class as low exceptions based on my para classification 1b.

My goals with this instructor/program are:

To get my confection back in saddle
To learn my para tests well and score in 60-70% mark at shows
To transition from adapted reins to standard reins
To learn to canter
To learn to jump sheep fence height (for safety reasons when I buy my next horse)

The instructor I plan to move on to next is an olympic dressage rider with her I hope to go Grand Prix level of AB dressage on a branded standardbred gelding

My instructor’s goals are:

To get my confection back in the saddle
To teach me my para tests well not sure she will let me show her horses oh well I can find a show mount
To figure out what adapted reins are needed

Should I just give up on my dreams Grand Prix AB dressage?

It sounds to me like your instructor may be thinking shorter term goals than you are. OTOH, does she know your goals? It seems odd that she won’t let you show her horses, if she knows you don’t have a horse and has taken you on as a student… is that at all or would she let you show at some point in the future when you are a better rider? Are her horses para-friendly?

I am not sure what you mean by “confection” back in the saddle…

[QUOTE=quietann;5663312]
It sounds to me like your instructor may be thinking shorter term goals than you are.[/QUOTE]

That was my thought as well, meeting your goals one step at a time.

[QUOTE=quietann;5663312]
It sounds to me like your instructor may be thinking shorter term goals than you are. OTOH, does she know your goals? It seems odd that she won’t let you show her horses, if she knows you don’t have a horse and has taken you on as a student… is that at all or would she let you show at some point in the future when you are a better rider? Are her horses para-friendly?

I am not sure what you mean by “confection” back in the saddle…[/QUOTE]

Yes but try speak to her about her about about my goals get “I will explain that later” respondents. I made myself clear on the phone. I moved 5 and half hours from where I was and gave my dream house because I thought she was supportive. I feel lied to and cheated.I am living with my mother at the moment who has a disablist outlook.And we are travelling 3 hours(the house I had wasnt hygiene but was 10 min taxi ride away i dont drive) so I can have my lessons. We are looking for a house close to the program.

With adult students she is only takes para/special riders who want to complete.

Her horses do para/therapy 24/7 she owns the best para horse in nz at moment

I used to be the poster child for her program because I sit to the trot when I was 3.I have quad cp

It almost like she cares about her super stars only

I also have sponsors to answer to every 10 weeks and want at least 60-70% marks asap and cant lied about no shows they also fund my AB cousin who rides Grand Prix dressage

My trainer has worked with students of all abilities. Regardless, she is always about what you can do, or might strive for, and not with what you can’t. Is there a reason why your trainer thinks you are specifically limited?

[QUOTE=DressageGeek “Ribbon Ho”;5663492]
Is there a reason why your trainer thinks you are specifically limited?[/QUOTE]

Because she doesn’t understand(and I have said to her) I want to do AB dressage as well as para. So she wants teach me enough to ride para only based on my classification.

Then you need to talk about this with her, because you want to be on the same page to work together to help you realize your goals.

Im also going to looking for show horse to keep the pen pushers happy

Just spoke to the paralympic classifier and im a 1a rider. My coach said she had spoke with her.:mad:

ONE THING AT A TIME.
You cannot achieve anything unless you have the basics DOWN.
Don’t mean to be mean, but you sound like a precocious, demanding person that thinks she knows better.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;5664160]
ONE THING AT A TIME.
You cannot achieve anything unless you have the basics DOWN.
Don’t mean to be mean, but you sound like a precocious, demanding person that thinks she knows better.[/QUOTE]

This. You loved this trainer’s program a week ago. Why don’t you “ride it out” (haha, horse pun) and give her program a chance to work.
Going trainer shopping for the Olympic coach may not be in your best interest at this point in your riding career, especially given the maturity and experience level indicated by your posts.
if you really want to become a better, more effective rider, you won’t place artificial limits on yourself, like “must use standard reins” or “must do competitive dressage on a branded standardbred gelding.” You’ll be better served to keep an open, creative mind that allows you to recognize and appreciate the horse, the trainer and the adaptive aids that help you be the best rider you can be. getting 70% on your Para test, or your AB test, requires producing the best test possible from your horse – it’s not a competition for who can use the fewest adaptive aids. it’s probably to that end that your trainer wants to experiment with the best set of aids for you, so you can become a better, more successful rider. (I ride with a bunch of very good American para riders, people who compete at the FEI levels of AB dressage as well as doing para. You’d better believe they experiment with different adaptive equipment all the time to fine-tune their ability to communicate complex cues to their horse.)

given the rent prices in that town we have agreed for me to move towns

Well - bless your heart.

Placed an ad to find another ride outside of the RDA program so I will have something to complete

I don’t know anything about parariding (don’t even know what AB is), but I do get a sense from the OP that her show and sponsorship goals are overshadowing her riding goals. This can happen to any rider, abled or not.

The problem with chasing sponsorships and awards, but especially sponsorships, is the rider can lose sight of what’s best for the horse and what’s best for themselves. Winning is not an end in itself.

It’s good to have a goal, and even better to have someone else support that goal financially (sponsors), but it’s not good to sacrifice the horse’s well being or your own to achieve it. There are plenty of examples of people making poor judgement calls and hurting a horse in the name of winning and keeping sponsors. The pressures are intense to win, and to stay on top.

Frankly, from your posts, as your coach I would tell you to be more realistic in your goals and take competition out of the equation for a while. Ride for the sake of riding, not showing, not earning sponsorships. In the end, even a “poster child” has to have the love of horses and horsemanship that makes a great rider. Maybe you need the sponsorhip to keep riding, but since you can train with top trainers and buy competitive dressage horses, I think you can probably afford lessons.

We all have a lot to prove – even abled riders have problems and issues. But don’t let your pride get on the way of being a good horsewoman.

[QUOTE=Kwill;5671143]
I don’t know anything about parariding (don’t even know what AB is), but I do get a sense from the OP that her show and sponsorship goals are overshadowing her riding goals. This can happen to any rider, abled or not.[/QUOTE]

AB=abled bodied

[QUOTE=Kwill;5671143]The problem with chasing sponsorships and awards, but especially sponsorships, is the rider can lose sight of what’s best for the horse and what’s best for themselves. Winning is not an end in itself.

It’s good to have a goal, and even better to have someone else support that goal financially (sponsors), but it’s not good to sacrifice the horse’s well being or your own to achieve it. There are plenty of examples of people making poor judgement calls and hurting a horse in the name of winning and keeping sponsors. The pressures are intense to win, and to stay on top.

Frankly, from your posts, as your coach I would tell you to be more realistic in your goals and take competition out of the equation for a while. Ride for the sake of riding, not showing, not earning sponsorships. In the end, even a “poster child” has to have the love of horses and horsemanship that makes a great rider. Maybe you need the sponsorhip to keep riding, but since you can train with top trainers and buy competitive dressage horses, I think you can probably afford lessons.

We all have a lot to prove – even abled riders have problems and issues. But don’t let your pride get on the way of being a good horsewoman.[/QUOTE]

My sponsor is ment to paying for everything to with do RDA, I rung him to get a cost covered and got bitched at(He also sponsors an AB who used his business paddocks for ages)

So when I found out the new RDA was having country fair I rung him again and asked for product “no problem when is it”

if it was up to me and i had the wallet i would id buy a mini and inhand show it