Unlimited access >

Should the USEA rule regarding the horse registration policy be enforced?

The USEA horse registration policy states; All horses competing in USEA recognized competitions must be registered with the USEA. Once registered with the USEA, the horse’s registration number will stay the same, regardless of change in owner…Failure to comply with the USEA Horse Registration Policy shall result in the loss of earned points and future entries may not be accepted.
The U.S. Eventing horse life registration form is fairly simple to navigate. I would also like to point out, it is literally called a “Life” registration form. The horse has the same number for life, once registered.

There are several categories to choose from on the form, ranging in price from $150 to Free!!

It is perfectly understandable for someone to purchase a horse and then decide they want to change the horse’s name. This can be easily accomplished with some paperwork, and a $25 charge. The USEA number would stay the same, but the horse would have a new name.

If you purchase a horse that already has a USEA number you can change ownership with USEA for no charge at all, that’s right, it is free to change ownership with USEA!

I have always been under the impression that creating a new identity for a horse with the USEA was not only unethical, but strictly against the rules. At the very least it causes people to question your character. A horse’s USEA number is similar to a VIN number on a car. A USEA show record can be compared to a “carfax report”. When people are horse shopping they definitely look to the USEA record when making their decision. Even if a horse has changed show names in the past, you can research their show record with the USEA number. You can see if the horse has a lot of refusals on cross country, or rails in show jumping, or less than stellar dressage scores. Prospective buyers can get a pretty clear picture of what they can expect. Or more importantly, what if there are RF’s (rider falls) or MR’s (mandatory retirement), then it becomes a safety issue. What if there are gaps in the horse’s record? This could indicate an injury or surgery. Having a record protects the horse’s safety, as well as the prospective buyer’s safety.
As I was searching the forum for related articles, it appears this is a very well know rule, but it is also blatantly obvious that this rule is very rarely enforced. I was able to find one instance where the USEF suspended a rider (Evan Coluccio) for 6 months and fined him $6000 for changing a horse’s identity.

Should USEA require microchips? Should there be consequences if someone knowingly creates a new identity for a horse, complete with new USEA number? Shouldn’t we expect USEA records to have integrity.

I am also interested if there are any other known cases of people being fined or suspended for breaking this rule.

** I had a similar thread that was deleted when COTH did their update**

As I read I thought - this sounds so familiar - then you admit this is a redo of the old thread.
In case you did not know, your thread was not the only one lost in the transfer over.

Has your court case moved forward at all?

2 Likes

Unfortunately things are moving slow due to Covid, but I am the crazy mom that won’t let it go…lol!

I can see why you don’t let it go (having read the other thread).

Hope things are resolved soon.

1 Like

My question is that if the rule is not being enforced now - and I have no idea how often the USEA investigates and takes action, that’s probably not public - then could that be because of the cost of enforcement?

It would be a fair question to the USEA directly - do they investigate complaints, take action on proven re-registrations, and how often does that happen? The USEA could answer for itself.

1 Like

I would suspect that in order for the USEA to take action, the case in question must be presented to them.

Has this already happened, have I missed seeing that?

In my personal experience, the USEA needs clear, well documented proof before they will even begin entertain a claim of fraudulent registration. I think this rule, one USEA registration number for the life of your horse, is often broken and rarely enforced.
I did a search and the only instance I could find where there were consequences for a rider changing a horse’s identity was with the USEF, as I referenced in my post. I would be interested to know if there are any other.

Yes, the situation I am referring to was presented to the USEA and USEF.
There was clear proof that a “professional” created a new identity for a horse she obtained through a shady “business” deal and subsequently listed the horse for sale with a large price tag. If prospective buyers were to look up this particular horse’s USEA number they would only see what the seller wanted them to see. A show record with no gaps and no link to the previous owner and the shady business deal.
As of today the horse is suspended with the USEA and USEF, but the rider who claims to be a professional has yet to suffer any consequences for her actions. IE; she is still able to register and show with the USEA and USEF on her other horses as well as client’s horses.

What is the point of having a rule if it not enforced?

3 Likes

@Willesdon I completely agree! I think it is an important rule, but there has to be accountability.