Shoulder issue - arthritis, bone spur and possible rotator cuff issue :( Any others?

Ugh…so frustrated. In 2008 I partially subluxed my left shoulder doing something at home - not horse or riding related. It turned into frozen shoulder. Had Xray and PT (no MRI). Was fine but heavy use of shoulder or repetitive movements over and over would make it sore, but I lived and probably 95% of time since then it didn’t bother me enough to pursue further treatment.

Fast forward to having my horses at home for the last 4 years - mucking, picking my own fields. Soreness came and went and for years have always had trouble undoing bra strap (bringing arm behind back, and doing certain stretches - definitely limited movement from my good shoulder - but have always been able to do daily chores. Certain things would cause discomfort (ex: walking dog, dog sees squirrel and lunges to left, pulling my arm suddenly)

Fall of last year, I started strength training, heavier weights, cardio endurance, kettle bells - really got in shape (2x per week sessions with good trainer). 2 weeks ago did 3 sets of 10 REAL push ups (had only done on knees most of my life). Started with shoulder pain, very limited movement, popping feeling. And then pain at night in shoulder no matter what position I sleep in - shooting, knife like pain which prompted me to make ortho appt. Went to ortho yesterday, got Xray.

Diagnosis so far - arthritis in left shoulder with bone spurs (2 of them). The “ball” part of the bone that goes into socket is not smooth - it’s bumpy. Hence the popping I am feeling and pain as well. Cartilage worn down. Basically it’s like my prior horse’s hock arthritis!!! He is not certain I do not have a rotator cuff injury as well (tendons, bursitis). So I am getting an MRI. Then he will come up with treatment plan. Ortho is a fabulous sports-centric ortho - friend of my husband’s close friend who is an ortho in another state. (sports medicine orthos - both of them - for professional baseball/football teams)

So I am “only” 49 - he said mucking/shoveling for 4 years on my own (since horses have been home w/me) did not “cause” the arthritis. It was most likely the prior injury that started the process. He mentioned possible shots, PT. But seriously, this is a progessive thing and I imagine one day I will need a shoulder replacement as there is not alot of space/cartilage left.

Anyone else with this diagnosis?? I know I can still ride, but anyone with a farm knows that we muck, shovel, sweep and it’s all shoulder-intensive. :frowning: Hubby and kids can help to a point and my horses are only in stalls from about Dec. to mid March, but still. I know we are still waiting on the rotator cuff stuff - he doesn’t think a tear, but possible bursitis, stretching - hard to say until the MRI.

Please share experiences. BTW my Mom has shoulder arthritis - Dad has general arthritis. (they are 84 and 93). Neither did any type of fitness - Mom still independent, has a cane for some things. Dad in wheelchair/limited movement. Doc said it’s highly genetic. All other joints fine so far.

There are many of us with shoulder problems and several, long past topics in this forum. I’ve had surgery on both shoulders - bone spurs removed in both, sub acromial decompression in both, and a distal clavicle reduction in both. In addition, the right one had a tendon repair. So my set of problems is a little different than yours - my joint is in good shape. First, make sure you have a great doctor and try whatever non surgical things you can. If you go to PT, make sure you have a great physical therapist - there is great variation between a great one and a not so great one. If you need surgery eventually, make sure your surgeon is up-to-date on techniques. For example, I did not have to wear a sling after surgery and started PT the next week, whereas others who had the same surgery with different surgeons were in a sling for many weeks and did not start PT for quite a while. As with any other PT, you’ll want to learn to strengthen things around the affect area and make sure you are moving properly.

My surgeries healed well but I still have some pinching or pulling at times. Shoveling is hard on my shoulders. But my back is screwed up too so I avoid the shoveling. Could you find someone to come help you with the stall and paddock cleaning?

Arthritis is pretty common as we age, and especially at your parents’ ages. My father, in his late eighties, has rotator cuff problems and never had surgery so he’s pretty limited in his movement. Shoulder problems are very common in those of us of a certain age. See what your doctor’s plan is and do what he tells you to do and be willing to re-visit the plan if it’s not working. And don’t be afraid to get another opinion.

good luck!

Shoulders are a bit@h. I have to be very careful when exercising that I don’t do more harm than good due to my many issues. My PT has pretty much told me to stick with aqua classes but recently I have added some very basic yoga back into the mix without causing too much of a problem. With many of us, getting truly fit or ripped as it were just doesn’t work anymore. It isn’t a matter of will power as much as it is physical limitations. I had shoulder surgery last summer and it was horrible, worse than both my hip surgeries put together but it was so worth it. The pain was ridiculous and now it is more or less gone but I have to be careful with it.

My brother had taken physiotherapy treatment for his shoulder pain and now his shoulders are back to normal. He had taken a lot of medication which couldn’t relieve that pain. But physiotherapy helped him.

You may want to PM Zu Zu, she is the expert on shoulders and who helped me prepare for my shoulder surgery, her tips helped tremendously.

I had rotator cuff surgery, a spur taken out and the main bicep tendon repaired, that the spur had almost cut, which would have been emergency surgery and much longer one, if the surgeon had to go find the end of that tendon down in my arm.

Shoulders are some of the most complicated joints in our bodies and, as my surgeon said, not the brightest mechanical solution our bodies came with for such joints, so they tend to have troubles as we age, any of us, if we do or don’t do much hard work in our lives.

You will know more after the MRI but, as my surgeon said, they really never know what they will find if they have to do surgery, so can’t say until they are in there what they may need to do.

Maybe you won’t need surgery for now, injecting the joint may help for a while, didn’t do squat for me.

I only had to wear a sling for a bit, the one with the basketball under the elbow, but was doing exercises starting a few days after surgery, that was under a shoulder block and light anesthesia, which helps very much with recovery not being so though on your body.

Hopefully you can keep going with therapy alone for a while, good luck with your MR