Shoulder labrum repair??

Has anyone been through a shoulder labrum repair? Would really appreciate some handholding on what to expect. Surgery is scheduled on Nov 9.

The surgeon has come with GLOWING recommendations from multiple people and she says it’s fairly simple as these things go–no bicep tendon involvement and the rotator cuff is all intact. She’s fairly conservative in not only when she recommends surgery but also what she does while in there, which I’m happy about.

I’m hoping this will be at least a little easier than the hip. At least I don’t have to be on crutches with this one? I’ve seen the tip shared about sleeping in a recliner, and I already have a game ready with the shoulder wrap. Other suggestions?

I’ve been reading through rehab plans (like this one) and have been trying to get a feel for how that translates to real life. Any insight? Like…will I be able to open a can of cat food by myself three weeks after surgery? At what point is it not stupid to lead one of my quiet horses with the healthy arm? How long am I going to be off of cleaning stalls?

I’ll ask my surgeon these questions, too, but I don’t see her again until the 8th. Just trying to understand what life is going to look like and line up some help for the horses!

Following. Need mine done, am really putting it off.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but DH had shoulder surgery. Went in thinking it was just bone spurs (HAH!), but ended up much more complicated including a biceps tendon tear (off the bone), labrum injury and rotator cuff tear. Surgical screws and hardware to secure the biceps tendon initially failed during surgery due to another unanticipated medical problem, so it was a much longer surgery than anticipated. Was sent home same day, which was a big mistake. DH should have been admitted for adequate pain and nausea control, and to remain adequately hydrated.

Not exactly your diagnosis or scenario, but some things you may find helpful:

At home, I had to find
a recliner (purchased locally on New Year’s Eve day, IIRC)
many, many pillows of different sizes and densities
lots of assorted cold packs/soft gel packs/ice
easy on/easy off clothing–pullover tops were impossible
several small blankets to drape or roll as needed

I also found that a real sheepskin “tube” as used for a shipping halter, was helpful for padding the sling strap on opposite neck/shoulder.

Recliner was essential, and the only way DH could sleep for about two months. No amount of propping pillows and bolsters in a normal bed worked to allow any sleep.

The Game Ready would have been a great thing, but was not available where we were at that time. Glad you have that lined up.

Is this for your dominant arm? If so, you may have to improvise how you do things, especially if you are doing self-care. :slight_smile: Or start practicing things like brushing teeth etc., with your non-dominant arm. Plan on at least two months of assistance, and maybe you will be able to lead a horse safely by then? Last thing you want to do is wreck the repair!

If you have confidence in your surgeon, and know exactly what needs repair, it hopefully will not be as traumatic as DH’s experience. (Surgeon did not feel he needed a MRI, just a CT. The advanced imaging may have given info to prepare for a more involved procedure. I don’t think it would have revealed the bone density issue.)

I was designated driver for all outings, as DH could not manage it for quite a few weeks. Not just strength and ROM-wise, but any jostling or jarring of his arm was not good. Only after he got the ok from his PT, and was off any pre-PT pain meds, did he attempt to drive on his own.

Long-term outcome: good to very good. DH was playing golf within 7-8 months. Longer than expected because the case was more involved than expected.

Jingles for an easy procedure and recovery!

There were a lot of good ideas and advice on my shoulder thread. I am actually feeling pretty good shoulder wise so looks like I am going to be able to avoid the surgery at least for the time being. Hopefully you going under the knife again isn’t a bad sign for me with our twin history! Here is that thread, hope it goes well. I will be waiting for your updates.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?490431-Shoulder-blues-Ridiculous-update!

I’ve had 3 shoulder surgeries, two of which included labrum repairs. The first surgery went fantastic and I was back to full duties within a couple months. At that time, all they did was repair the labrum and remove some bursitis. I went to PT twice a week starting the 3rd week post op, and went for about 3 months. In all honesty, it was easy peasy and I was back riding and mucking stalls by the 2nd month out. My second surgery was less successful, but that was due to the unfortunate “Perfect Storm” (as my doctor lovingly said) of known, and at the time unknown, injuries. But the labrum repair was successful then as well.

I am a huge fan of this lotion called “Two Old Goats”, and its all essential oils. I have heavy duty compounded cream that I am supposed to use for nasty pain in my neck and shoulder, but that TOG lotion works so much better. You can find it on Amazon. It really is a miracle in a bottle, I would recommend using it for aches/pains post op. Hell, if I could afford to bathe in it every night, I would. It really is a riders best friend!

I don’t know how it will compare to my frozen shoulder manipulation and PT but one thing that really helped me was a bandeau style bra. I was so sore that I couldn’t tolerate a regular bra strap over my shoulder. I couldn’t even wear a bathing suit top that tied behind my neck.

Thanks for the replies, all!

Keys, getting in there and finding a whole lot more to fix is my nightmare scenario! How terrible for the both of you to get that surprise. We do have a good MRI to hopefully minimize that possibility. Good point on practicing using the other hand–this is my dominant side! I’ve become a little more ambidextrous since the injury (things hurt!) but nothing like what’s going to be required after surgery.

picture, I’m hoping for a easy recovery like your first surgery! Glad to hear it went so well. I’ve ordered the Two Old Goats stuff :slight_smile:

Laurie, I have a feeling there will be a whole lot of going without a bra. :lol:

Braless wasn’t an option for me. I had clients in and out of the house at all hours and had to go to PT every day. I would have loved to stay in my pajamas for a month or two but that wasn’t in the cards.

I had a shoulder that dislocated for years - out and then back in - until finally one day I was brushing a horse and it didn’t go back in. I had a Bankart repair (roughly in 1999) which was supposed to be arthroscopic, but when they got me under the shoulder was so loose and damaged that it was done open. the labrum was basically mashed in one area. This added to the recovery in terms of PT and time. However, it was well worth it. The surgeon said the shoulder would never come out again, and he was right. It involved the use of 3 tiny titanium anchors to stitch everything back together.

At the time I was volunteering at a therapy center, which turned into my boarding barn when I decided to buy my own horse. I recall bras being an issue for a while, so I did layers. Since it was my right shoulder, and I live alone, things like cooking and eating were somewhat challenging for a little while. The recliner was more comfortable than the regular furniture. I don’t remember too much else, except it was the first time I ever had surgery and it turned out I can’t take oxycodone. And I had a stick shift, so had to mooch rides for a little while, although the barn was a short walk from my condo. In any case, while things were definitely a PITA for a little while, it was all worth it in the end.

One worthwhile suggestion I did receive was to get some tools that you can work with one hand. Like an electric can opener and a really great little bottle/soda can opener, and a bagel slicer. I recall looking on the internet, such as it was back then, for tools designed for people with disabilities. And once I felt a little better, I went back to volunteering at the barn, leading off the “wrong” side. I don’t think I told the surgeon about that last part.

[QUOTE=Simkie;8908984]
picture, I’m hoping for a easy recovery like your first surgery! Glad to hear it went so well. I’ve ordered the Two Old Goats stuff :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

If you don’t like it, I will gladly buy it from you. But honestly, it really is a miracle in a bottle! I hope everything goes well and you have an easy recovery. I know the best thing I ever did was be religious about my pain meds for like the first week, so that way I would be ahead of it. It kinda sucks, but it worked for me and made it easier.

After my last surgery, I had to go sans bra for about 3 months. I’m just so glad that it was hoodie weather because you can’t tell otherwise. :smiley:

I am DOWN for some miracle in a bottle! Thanks very much for the tip :slight_smile: Maybe it will work on my hip, too.

So: Very Serious question for all from the cats. Best guess on how long it will be until I can open a cat food can? :lol: Thinking specifically about the 5.5 oz cans. Mr. S will be here after surgery, but does have a business trip the week after and will gone a couple days. Think I’ll be okay on my own, or should I have a friend come stay with me? I’ve told the cats that he can pre-open a bunch of cans for me and put them in the fridge if that’s needed, but they’re still worried. (I have a friend doing the ponies.)

btw, walktrot, can’t imagine living with a shoulder that just decides to pop out every now and then. Just my minor labrum thing feels super unstable and causes all sorts of pain. So glad to hear you’re better now!

Reading about these really big surgeries and shoulder problems makes me feel a like a wimp. You all have had so much more going on. Maybe it’s smart to fix when it’s simple like this? Hearing about much bigger problems makes me think I should just be able to tough it out and wait :-/

You are anything but a wimp Simkie! This isn’t a contest anyway, take care of yourself.

You are not a wimp! You’ll do fine. Just make sure to take it easy and recover, and not push yourself too hard too fast.

Tomorrow is the day. Fingers crossed.

Things will go well! Here’s to a speedy recovery!

Good luck!

Surgery went well, with debridement of the superior labrum and a repair of the tear on the anterior labrum. There was also something done for tendonitis on the bicep tendon.

A block was awesome until last night, but today has been rough. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Sending you hugs, and jingles. Hoping you’re pain free, and feeling better quickly.

Here are some pictures from the scope, if anyone is curious: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0rw844q92hvwymn/AADidNIuGJC4g7uVXSCLXqDea

Saw the PA and PT yesterday for a dressing change and instructions. Very little PT at all for three weeks…all at home and really just focused on keeping my wrist and elbow mobile. I’m allowed to dangle the arm straight down but not much else.

Tried to skip my 4am dose of pain meds, which was a very stupid thing to do.

Oh, Simkie, I hope you stay up with your pain meds. Really best to stay on schedule. Treat yourself as well as you would treat one of your animals— you wouldn’t try to “short dose” one of them, right? :slight_smile:

Every day is a little more healing, glad the surgery is behind you. Healing and pt will be tough but so worth it!

ETA: those images make it pretty clear you needed the clean up!