Unlimited access >

Shoulder relief girth alternatives

Anyone have any suggestions for horses with really far forward girth grooves, that tend to get rubbed despite using a Shoulder Relief Girth?

Two suggestions:

1. Try a mohair girth, particularly the endurance style with a wide center. The mohair is very forgiving and was the only thing that worked on my Arab. One example - https://www.thedistancedepot.com/Montana_Cincha_Endurance_Mohair_Girth_p/mcendur.htm
  2. Look at the billet placement on your saddle. It’s possible that the position is putting your girth in a spot where it’s rubbing.
2 Likes

Lemieux gel tech girth is really nice and anatomical! Super soft and squishy leather.

2 Likes

Both my horses have forward girth grooves - one ridiculously so and has thin skin so everything rubbed. A mohair girth fixed the rubs, but still tended to pull my saddles forward. The H girth from WOW was the only one I found that truly worked to keep the girth and saddle where it belonged without causing rubs. My second horse was less rub prone but still has a pretty forward girth groove. The H girth didn’t work as well with the saddles that fit him as well as it did for the other horse (they are wildly different shapes so have very different saddles) and it didn’t sit where I wanted under my leg the way I wanted. However, the asymmetric girth for Hufglocken works perfectly with both his saddles, doesn’t interfere with my leg, and has lovely sheepskin so never rubs.

Check out Hufglocken’s website. They have a really nice set of graphics about how to pick the right girth for your horse and they have a big selection of shapes. They are in Australia, but if you order one of their “in stock” choices, the price isn’t terrible and it didn’t take long to get here.

1 Like

I’ve been using one on my thin-skinned mare with a fleece cover and it’s really well-made and a nice fit. Unfortunately LeMieux changed from making covers for the Fairfax girth with real sheepskin, to making the cover to fit their own girth with fake fleece that needs to be washed more frequently and just isn’t as nice.

1 Like

Numed (I think) makes really nice covers for fairfax girth.

1 Like

That is good to know. I do have a Fairfax as well. One of the covers for it went missing and I keep hoping it will turn up!