Shoulder replacement

I have bad arthritis in both shoulders and have to have both shoulders replaced. Obviously one at a time. Has anyone had the surgery? I’m curious what the recovery is like and how soon I can ride? Anybody?

I haven’t, but my 72 yo mom had her second replacement done in mid-January. She’s doing great- full range of motion is back, and finally pain free. I saw her 2 weeks after surgery, and she was already in pt for stretching and movement of the joint. A big problem can be a frozen shoulder, apparently, so the pt is crucial for prevention of that plus recovering use and rom. What’s your Dr say about riding?

Thanks so much for your reply. I am your mom’s age so it is great to hear. My doctor said can’t ride for 3 months. I want to hear from a horse person to see what they did. As I am doing both it is a concern not to ride for 6 months. Where is your mom located? I’m in Chester Co., Pa. Would you ask her if she’d speak to me. I’ve asked the doctor to put me in touch with someone to talk to (preferably a horse person) but it’s not happening. I’d just like to talk to anyone who has had it done. And your mom has had two, I’m curious the timing of the second one.

Well - your mileage may vary… I have severe arthritis in both shoulders and had the left one replaced in December 2014. I have decent range of motion, far less pain, but very little strength. I have been in PT three days a week since the replacement. It was a necessary surgery, because I had virtually no use of the arm and severe pain. I do have major problems with scar tissue which is, in part, what is compromising the speed of my recovery. I AM riding again, with a therapeutic program because I need help mounting and dismounting. Again - I didn’t have much choice, but I am not going to get the right one replaced until or unless the left arm becomes functional once again…