Unlimited access >

Show Coat Shenanigans

So, I am yet again faced with a show coat dilemma. As I live in Texas, I usually get a nicer show coat for the fall/winter part of my show season when it is not eight billion degrees out. I was hoping to get another year out of my Grand Prix show coat that I wore last fall/winter but as a person who is still growing, it no longer fits my long arms or torso. I wear a size 2-4 and am having a hard time finding a dressage coat that will fit long torso/long arms for something that is not $350. Any advice?? I’ve got a show late November that I hope to have a coat for, but it is not a necessity. However, in order to show in December, I am required to have one. So I don’t have too much time, but I at least have a little bit. Show coats are my nemesis, so any help is appreciated!!

Not sure how long your torso is but I LOVE my Fair Play stuff: https://www.google.com/search?q=fairplay+dressage+jacket&oq=fairplay+dress&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i512j0i22i30l7.3452j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It’s a different cut of dressage coat, but I find them to look pretty good. Be forewarned this is not for hot summer Texas weather as they run warm! There is a shop in Florida that imports them if you don’t want to order direct from England.

does your current coat still fit your torso? If so how short is it in the sleeve?

If it is not too much a tailor might be able to let down the sleeve to fit. I had to do that on a couple coats.

Dressage coats are tricky since most 4 buttons are a frock fit ( inset waist). Be open to a three button hunt coat, which is perfectly acceptable. You will have more shopping options at a better price point

2 Likes

I struggle with this. I bought my coats on eBay for years, because it was such a crapshoot as to whether it would be long enough in the arms. More brands are making long/tall sizes. Pikeur has regular and tall sizes and they fit my tall-extra-long-arm self very well. I bought one of those RJ classics mesh coats in 8/tall and it fits super.

Some stores are having clearance sales at the moment, as they are getting ready to stock the next season. I saw some Pikeur coats on sale for $250-300 at various online stores.

1 Like

My AA Motion lite has nice long sleeves. It’s not a super formal look, as a mesh jacket, but I like it. Mine came direct from the Houseware website for under $150.

1 Like

You could also get a tailor to add a cuff in say black velvet or fake suede. This might involve moving cuff buttons too. The big thing is how it looks at a distance in the ring. It might not look perfect up close but be just fine at a distance.

1 Like

I mostly show at show grounds that allow no coats in the summer. Gosh those FairPlay coats are beautiful!!

The torso is too tight, and I look and feel pretty restricted in the Grand Prix coat.

It is frustrating when you cannot try on coats in person. I would start with searching the coats you have had and like and double check if they come in long sizes / cuts.

I second the AA Motionlite. I love mine and the sleeves are nice and long. It’s not quite warm enough for early spring and fall in New England, but I’m sure it would work great for Texas.

Look to see if you can find any 4 button RJ Classic coats in tall on sale. Grand Prix makes tall sizes but unless you can find some closeout sales, the brand is no longer around.

Has anyone ever tried Tredstep coats?? I find them so pretty and am looking into one.

Yep, tall person who LOVES my RJs! You can often find older styles on sale too–I got my black one for dressage showing on a ridiculous sale because it was a model closeout. Most of those are 3 button models, though, FYI.

Also like the Horseware one I picked up, though I find it much warmer than the RJs and the fit is a little boxier. The sleeves are an OK length, though, and the price on those off the rack is in your budget.