Unlimited access >

Show grounds alert EVH-1 Outbreak in 2022

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/we-showed-on-sunday-he-died-on-tuesday-an-outbreak-story/

1 Like

If you read the article, you’ll see this story took place in 2022.

Two days earlier, on Feb. 20, 2022, we rode in our first show together. He carried me through the courses with generosity and knowledge. Low fences for him, monumental fences for me.

Edited to add: the author even links out to all the posts COTH posted about the outbreak. Posting this title with no context is fear mongering.

4 Likes

This article describes the death of a horse in the 2022 EHV outbreak.

My horse was at that show. Lucky for us, the infected horses were not stabled nearby.

Very well-written article. That was not a fun time of daily temperature taking and dipping our shoes in bleach.

5 Likes

The link is to a beautifully written and heart wrenching account of a tragic death due to unheeded biosecurity measures. Yes, it happened in 2022 but it could happen again today.

Perhaps the OP could change the title to eliminate the misleading wording.

3 Likes

The piece is fabulous. But OP isn’t trying to have a conversation about unheeded biosecurity or how the outbreak was due to negligence by trainers and staff. Their title heavily implies the outbreak is happening now.

EHV-1 is already terrifying enough.

1 Like

Sorry I believe I skim read until I got to the substance. I’m not in that part of the show world for any reference to time

1 Like

Fair enough, but it’s easy to edit the title.

1 Like

Forgot about that, I’m spread thin this morning w chores.

2 Likes

An EHV Neurologic outbreak is happening now in a number of states, including PA, VA, OH, WI, IN, and a few others.

https://equinediseasecc.org/alerts

2 Likes

Sure, but that’s not what this article is about. If OP wanted to talk about the EHV-1 outbreaks occurring currently then they shouldn’t have used a heartbreaking story about a case from two years ago that they even admitted they didn’t fully read. It’s irresponsible.

3 Likes

@SillyHorse, I was going to post the same thing. There is a tread about the outbreak in northern Ohio now.