Unlimited access >

Show halters!

Looking for a show halter for local/regional shows. What brands should I look for or avoid? On a very small budget so will be looking for used most likely.

I show my Paint gelding in performance halter classes, where he consistently does very well. I was also on a budget, plus my horse has odd coloring on his face and what I affectionately call “warmblood ears.” So this is the halter I got. The tooling and buckles are very pretty in person and the lack of silver doo-dads certainly hasn’t affected his placings.

3 Likes

I like this one! You could likely add more silver at a later time if you felt the urge.

2 Likes

Thanks! It really does look nice in person.

The buckles have an antiqued look to them, and have both golden bronze and a copper coloring to the floral details. Dale Chavez also has much more fancy leather show halters, but I was able to try several of those on my guy and they just didn’t suit him.

3 Likes

Well, it’s a show halter shaped object… but if you’re on a very limited budget I used this for my first year doing local shows, and it worked fine.

I found a name brand used one on Ebay, that was still in good condition but much less in price! So that’s another place you could explore too.

2 Likes

Both my used TexTan and Circly Y show halters have been affordable. They are clean, supple halters, with quality silver. I’d 100% rather go with an older name brand at a used price, than go with a brand new one for the same price. There is so much on the market that is junk and will end up costing you more money down the road. I got my TexTan for $175 and my Circle Y for $150, both had matching leads and bags.

3 Likes