Show Me Your Chicken Runs!

Im hoping to draw on collective COTH wisdom for some ideas on how best to re-build/beef up my chicken run. This is my first year having chickens and I’ve lost a couple to predators, most recently one to a bird of prey yesterday. I interrupted him right after he got her so I am confident of who the culprit was. I will admit the chicken I lost was my escape artist and known to let herself in and out of the run almost daily so I kind of figured it was only a matter of time. Im planning to re-locate my coop this year and as part of that project wanted to build a new run. Current run was kind of last-minute when they outgrew my “starter coop” and needed to transition to the big coop before winter set in. It is 2x4 no-climb fence (left over from horse paddock) held up with metal T-posts, I’ve also got the no-climb over 1/3 of the top and the other 2/3 has electric fence tape (not hot) woven back and forth to discourage aerial attacks. This issue isn’t so much predators getting IN but chickens getting OUT. I would love to find a dog run for them that I could cover on the top but used ones are scarce in my area and new is out of my price range. I’ve looked at some of the pre-built chicken runs but I worry about the strength/integrity of something like that. I’m in the northeast so snow and gusty winds are a factor.

So long story short, what’s your chicken set-up? How does it work and how would you improve upon it?

Our set up was we got the kids five chickens and they (the chickens and I guess the kids also) free ranged with the horses. If a hawk showed up looking for a meal the chickens would run under one of the horses for protection.

here they are sharing a watermelon while visiting the patio
FoxintheBox015

by the way chickens can live forever it seems, we had one of that five live to be 12 or so years

1 Like

I have seven feet of 1/2" hardware mesh on wooden posts. Haven’t covered the top and haven’t had problems, but should–and would in your shoes, since the raptors already know where to find the buffet.

Sooooooo many things can go right through 2x4 holes. :frowning:

We too used 1/2" hardware cloth (stainless steel). It is buried and turns so that predators can not dig into the chickens area either.

Our outdoor are is built as an extension on the indoor area so it has a roof. It is predator proof from all sides, unless the predator is a bear.

1 Like

Yes, everyone is locked in until I feel it’s safe to let them out again. I’m so disheartened after yesterday. If only I had come outside a few minutes sooner!

Skunks can fit fine thru a 2" by 2" hole, are all fluff, little skinny bodies and they love all chicken.
So do rats.

Thankfully, like I said above, my run is made of 1/2" (half inch) hardware cloth, so even a female rat can not fit thru it, let alone something as large as a skunk.

We have beautiful chicken hawks nesting in the trees on our farm. We bought cheap black netting on Amazon to cover our yard. It’s a pain to unroll, but it works great. We use one roll of garden fence with a portion of the bottom bent up on the out side and buried to discourage digging predators. The wire is attached to metal posts with zip ties and a second roll of wire is overlapped and attached to make the run fence tall enough. Then, we draped the netting and attached with those wonderful zip ties. Safe chicken yard. Easy fencing to replace, if need be.

My run is 12x14 and the lower 4’ is 1/4” hardware cloth, the top is chicken wire. My coop is under a lean to, so there’s a concrete floor and a roof. Nothing has ever gotten in my run in the 2 years I’ve had chickens. Mine do free range, but like you, we’ve lost a couple to hawks. Hoping to help that problem this year by adding some Black Americaunas and a rooster :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I used this netting the 1st year I had my run. But snow collapsed it.
So, after reading on Backyard Chickens, I replaced netting with crisscrossed baling twine. Theory is hawks see it as a solid barrier. I have never lost a hen to a hawk in the yard.
Same twine has been in place nearly 10yrs. I replace any strands that break.
Lost several to hawks when I let them free-range, once to a fox that killed 2 hens & the rooster & left the bodies.
So now they stay in the run & everyone seems happy. 5 hens & 2 roosters* currently.
*1 was supposed to be a pullet when I got them @ 6wks, the other was a bit older but still a fooler. So far - a year later - Peace reigns :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The little coops you can buy at say tractor supply will keep the chickens in but predators can take them down and some don’t hold up to weather for long. I’ve read people mentioning the cost of buying them and making them predator proof was as expensive and almost as time consuming as just building something sturdier to begin with.

Our ducks and chickens used to free range during the day. Only issue was the occasional hawk.

At night they were in. We used the 2x4 welded wire on the sides and top of our outside runs. We got lazy and let them all roost where they wanted in the very well ventilated very old shed, i.e. it had large openings about 10’ on one side.

We didn’t use the 1/2" wire underground around the outside so we had to check for any signs of digging every day even though we buried large rocks around the outside . It’s a real pain to check everyday and honestly we did have something dig under it one night. Thankfully whatever it was went for the pellets. In my new run I’m burying the 1/2" mesh.

In our smaller run we used chain-link dog kennel panels on the sides and top. Easy to put up and kept out predators. Again had to keep watch for diggers.

Our chickens and most of the duck hens choose to roost in the rafters which are about 10’ off the ground (on the side without the holes). With that setup we had no problems with chicken killers for 12 years!

Then two years ago the neighbor started dismantling their abandoned barn. OMG, it seemed like overnight we got everything from that barn. Rats, fox, and mammoth racoon and skunks. I mean huge and nasty raccoon and skunks. I’ve never seen anything like them. All of them were chicken and duck killers. Horrible. We used to free range during the day. We only had the very occasional hawk issue. Now all the birds are stuck in the shed (used to hold three cars maybe 50 years ago) and outside runs 24/7. It’s big enough so they are ok, but I’m very disappointed.

When the attacks started I was unprepared for those predators. 12 years of relative peace, then chaos. I had to pick up each chicken individually at night and put them into dog crates in my big horse trailer, then herd the ducks in. Shut it up (except for ventilation) until we could shore up the shed and runs. My birds were traumatized. Fortunately it was winter and the temp was OK in the trailer at night.

We trapped and dispatched more than 15 predators. So my point is - build as predator proof as you can, predators can move in fast, even after 12 years of relative peace.

As an aside on the big live trap - we ordered what I thought was the best larger animal live trap on the market. Not inexpensive. It had to be big, so I ordered the bobcat size. The first animal we caught was one of the mammoth racoon. It ripped the trap apart the first night we put it out. Fortunately the raccoon could only pull the walls in and was still trapped. We called the company, the first person that answered actually had the nerve to tell us it wasn’t for raccoon only bobcat and they wouldn’t replace it. Really - where on earth do they think you can exclude raccoon from a live trap baited with anything. We eventually got them to replace it.

1 Like

Yikes! What a terrible situation with the sudden arrival of all of those predators!

The coop itself is very secure and actually large enough for many more chickens than what I currently have (down to 4!). My original coop was sturdy but not big enough for all of my adult chickens, but it worked great when they were ready to transition from garage living to being outside so I’ll keep that set-up for this year. When we built the new and improved coop it was almost winter and I used supplies on hand to give them some outdoor space. Since they’ve been full-grown I’ve only lost 2 to predators, both times while they were out of the run. Although my remaining hens have been good about staying in the run for the last few months and I never let them out to free range after the 1st predator loss, I do worry that it’s only a matter of time before the predators figure out there is chicken on the menu over here. Obviously the hawk is now aware. I am diligent about locking them up at dusk so that helps but if I’m moving/improving their coop and run I want a “do it once, do it right” kind of fix.
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! It’ll be a couple weeks before I have this project completed but I’ll be sure to update when I do!

Hardware cloth is your friend.

I have a raised coop (4’ x 6’) with an attached 6’x10’ roofed run, enclosed with hardware cloth. knock on wood I haven’t lost any birds to predators in the four years that we’ve lived here.
I do know that I’m lucky though because the coop and run sits inside a 30’x50’ page wire enclosure, this is to keep my dog out so they can “free range” during the day when we’re home. Some day I’m sure a hawk or something will get one, but the crows do a pretty good job of chasing them away.

@2DogsFarm That’s a good point about snow. Never had to worry down here, but that will be changing soon…

Our new place has a grain bin, which is like a silo, but short and fat. It has a door already. I think I’ll look at converting it into a goat shed/chicken coop. The run will have to be pretty solid and able to handle snow.

3 Likes

We have a very similar setup, and it’s worked great. We have 1/4" hardware cloth under the coop/run that it covered with stone and sand. Having the entire ground under the coop covered is probably overkill, but we had a big rat issue at our last house, so I wasn’t taking any chances when we set up the coop at our current house. The run is also covered with 1/4" hardware cloth. They have an auto door that lets them out in the morning, and shuts them back in the coop at night. On days that we’re home during the day, they also have an electric fenced in area that we let them in. I like the electric fence because it gives me an added sense of security. We use electric poultry netting, so we can move it around to give them access to different areas. They only get to free range in the summer when there is a lot of tree cover (we have a lot of hawks in the area, and have lost a few chickens over the years).

I am lucky. We have the chicken yard enclosed with 5 ft tall chicken wire. Chickens stay in and I lock them in the large coop overnight.

My potential predators are night offenders, so as long as they are in by dusk they are safe.

1 Like