Unlimited access >

Show Trunks: Your Favourite Type/Brand?

Hello all, I will be in the market for a new show trunk this winter and I’m trying to get a feel for what everyone has these days. I understand that some show barns have their own “style” or “brand”, but my show barn is pretty laid back therefore everyone seems to have something different.

Right now, my current setup is one of those large Husky trunks on wheels (from Home Depot) and lots of the other girls have a Husky/Craftsman/Stanley trunk with a cover. They are fantastically mobile but I am not a fan of the look, even with a trunk cover. Thus, my trunk has been sold to a fellow barn mate.

I was looking into custom trunks from Phoenix West, gorgeous but expensive. I am also open to the idea of building my own and getting it professionally vinyled, so that is also on the table. I was just curious if there was any other favourite custom/generic trunk brands out there that would be worth considering! I am in located in Canada.

Thanks everyone in advance!

A good quality trunk (like Phoenix West, formerly Warner’s) is a lifetime purchase (or until you change barns/colors). I’m pretty frugal but would spring for the higher end. No Canadian recs though. My Warner’s trunk is approaching 30 years old and still in great shape despite a far amount of abuse over the years between shows and other moves. They are HEAVY, even the smaller sizes.

1 Like

Agreed. I too have an Warner’s trunk (same as Phoenix West) from 199X that is still going strong. It’s heavy as sin but it is sturdy. It’s been schlepped all over the country with various levels of care and it’s in great shape. I’m sure it was expensive even back then but I think at this point my mom can say she got her money’s worth. Solid wood trunks are nice because they’re more transferable from barn to barn if you have a trainer who is particular about stuff matching but fortunately mine have all been amenable to trunk covers or understand that me and my vintage green trunk are a bonded pair at this point in our lives.

Here’s a good question… who is moving the trunk? Are you taking it around to the shows? Or do you have barn workers/working students that will be setting it up? If so, ask them what they prefer… because I’ve had certain tack trunks that my barn staff has HATED bc the handles either cut into their hands or the wood was too heavy…etc etc.

We use Husky trunks. They’re lightweight, cheap to replace, and you can lock them.

1 Like

It is easy to change the panels on your show trunk. I have had it done twice. I know someone who can get me a great rate. My Warner’s trunk is kept in great condition, so it looks basically new.

Can you PM that contact info on replacing panels? I have 2 McGuin trunks that I want to change out, as well as brush boxes etc.

This is who I used for panel replacement. I have twice replaced my panels with her. https://www.facebook.com/Julie.Angelos.McKinnon

1 Like

Contact listed below.

1 Like