Unlimited access >

Showing in the Rain--Any Tips

I see you lucked out OP with it not raining during your show day, and it is nice you made the choice to scratch to prevent any injuries to your horse.

I am going to add what i do on rainy days, just in case anyone finds this thread and wants tips.
Bring everything. I am well known for having multiples of everything, even on a normal day and have even had other competitors come to my trailer to ask to borrow things.
I hate wet breeches, so on showery days i tend to bring every pair i own and swap when it stops raining, if it is a constant rain, then i just suck it up. The extras also help if you fall so you’re not putting muddy breeches into your saddle. Do not forget extra gloves, nothing is worse then putting on wet gloves.
If you show jumpers, it is nice to be able to swap out of water logged polos or boots.
I usually have a long break in between my classes, but it is never long enough for my pad to dry so i will bring extra and replace each time i tack up.
I have purchased waterproof quarter sheets for these rainy days. I will also bring multiple rain sheets to cover my horse. At the local shows, there is no stabling, so your just waiting around at your trailer. My trailer does not have an awning, so i bring a shelter (like a gazebo just without sides) that i have trained my horse to stand under, it helps alot on rainy and hot sunny days.
Practice. If you are willing to show in the rain, you need to practice in the rain. Your horse needs to be used to running into the driving rain, and stomping through puddles, as well as seeing many umbrellas.

After riding in the rain, i like to give my saddle a really good cleaning and finish off with neats foot oil.

4 Likes

I was in that show, and one of those with a ton of stops. My pony does not like the footing and i that really hurt my confidence now. I should’ve scratched. You made a very wise choice. The hunter ring was like “built in liverpools” and the jumper ring is just , muddy AF.

I second the suggestion for rubber lined reins.

Also, if you put the Tingley rubber boot protectors over your boots, you can actually leave them on when you ride. With all the rain, no-one will notice and the rubber gives amazing grip!

My strategy for downpour days: stop at market, make sure cooler is stocked with wine and cheese/snacks. Make sure I have enough for other adults. Go to office, stand in line with half of the other entries in my Adult Ammy division to scratch, walk by ring and shake head at people showing in the rain and slop, go back to barn, give horse lots of treats, have wine and cheese with friends :grinning: :joy: I call it “adult privilege” - I’m writing the check, I’m doing it for fun, and riding in the pouring rain is not my idea of fun LOL!

Glad you got to show the first day and had a good day!

7 Likes

This is like the smartest post I have ever read on COTH. :laughing:

4 Likes

Cheers to all of this!

My strategy was…
alarm goes off. rain 100% in forecast. text trainer and say, “see you tomorrow”. roll over.

2 Likes